TPMS Failure Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TPMS Failure Question

baggs3222

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer
One of our TPMS sensors is throwing an error where the front driver's side on the readout just has two dashes while the others report the pressure as normal. The dealer was unable to fix it because their internet was down the day we had it there, but that's another story entirely. My question is, if they move that wheel/tire to another location on the vehicle when they rotate the tires will the faulty sensor go with it and report nothing in the new location?

I ask because they told me they did rotate the tires that day but the readout did not change and is still the driver's front tire. My understanding is that the sensor is in the tire on the valve so it should have moved if they did rotate the tires correct?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the readout didn't change then it is likely the sensor on the axle that picks up the signal from the one in the tire or it's wiring.

If they rotate tires, they have to do a relearn of the sensors for it to know. It has no clue where they moved the tires.

A perfect example, on my f350 my pressure light is on. I checked with a gauge and the fronts are at 60, rears at 80 like they are supposed to be.

I used forscan to verify this (looked at pressures, not description). Then it dawned on me when I had my tires rotated at the dealer they must not have relearned it because in forscan when I checked a 2nd time,I looked at the description. The rears were 60 (sitting in the front) and the fronts were 80 (sitting in the rear).

I have to perform a relearn to fix it so it knows where each is.

I had a dealer tell me that everything is fine with my TPM system when I had them check it for a bad tire sensor. They told me that they either work or that they don't, then then sent me on my way.

I went to another dealer who actually checked the tire pressure in the affected tire and then looked at the readout on the dash. He then took it back into the service bay to have a tech go around and relearn each sensor. He then came back to me and told me that it was a bad sensor in the tire.

My problem was that no matter where that tire was on my Explorer it read around 5 psi lower than what it actually was. Summertime it wasn't bad but during the winter it was constantly setting off the low tire pressure alarm even with the correct amount of air in the tire.

So back to the OP I am pretty sure that when he complained about the problem quite possibly the first thing that they did after rotating the tires was to relearn each tire to it's new location..

This is also where I think that every owner needs to get a cheap tool off of the internet that can be used to relearn the tires location. That way they can do it themselves even if a dealer does rotate the tires for them.

I didn't think the 2015 Explorer was capable of telling which tire was low? I thought the individual readouts only came out with the 2016 models.

Peter

My '15 limited doesn't know the locations of the tires. Like Peter said, it must be newer models than '15. Unless it shows somewhere I've never found.

Sorry guys, it’s a 2017 and does have the individual tire pressure readouts.

My 2016 has a bad sensor that needs replaced. It reads around 10 psi low and sometimes shows -- . Some day, before I turn it over to my daughter, I'll replace it.

When rotating the tires, at least on the 2016 Explorer and 2018 Edge, you do not have to do the relearn procedure. It will do it itself....may take 5-50 miles to do so.

On my 2016 it would not relearn by itself. You needed the tool or needed to do it manually.

Interesting, I've had my 2016 since Oct 15 and had multiple oil change/tire rotations (98k miles) and never had to do a relearn procedure. One time it took about 2 days for the sensors to reset. :dunno:

There are ongoing reports of just having to drive to relearn and then others like me that can drive for months without it relearning. When I first rotated my tires I put on over a 1000 miles before I relearned the positions manually. I then purchased a tool to do it.

My Explorer was just a XLT so perhaps there is something in the programming that allows the higher end ones relearn by themselves. But you would think that you could change that in the programming but I haven't seen any options to do that.

I find it interesting that none of the comments here reflect what I feel about TPMS in general:
A load of nonsense.
I know, I know, it's modern technology so therefore I must be a Luddite!
But honestly, do you not feel it is a technology for its own sake and not for real-world practical use?
Yes, I am getting long-in-the-tooth, been driving since I was 12 (legally & illegally) that was 55 years ago, I've never ever had an issue with tyre pressures.....A glance around the vehicle every day, a gauge check on any that looked below pressure....a weekly check all round.
Never, ever, have I had a "slow" puncture catch me out to the point I was driving with a dangerously low pressure in a tyre.
Unfortunately, live in a country where confidence in the local garage is almost non-existent.
(From what I read, this is a pretty much global problem, certainly not unique to my country.)

When I bought the car...I knew immediately it had a slow puncture...long before the TPMS "advised me" and, when it was convenient, I had the puncture repaired. End of problem.
Scroll on 2+ Years....
Then: The fun began.....
I had four new tyres fitted. On driving away...The TPMS light came on. Due to prior commitments, I was unable to return immediately. When I got home...a simple inspection showed me I had three "old" valve stems....and one brand new one...... . OSR.....
To cut a long, expensive, saga of a story short: they eventually admitted they must have damaged a sensor and said they would sort it:
Guess what...they never did....and after many trips and leaving the car with them....I just gave up & taped over the warning light.

The point is this: Why did I have to spend so much time & wasted petrol....trying to extinguish a totally ineffective "warning" lamp on my dashboard?
The system in its concept is totally flawed: There should be a means for the owner (Mug?) who paid for this nonsense to simply disable the now redundant warning lamp.

In conclusion I can only say this: Yes...I love new technology, I embrace it wholeheartedly.
When it does what it was supposed to do. Make life easier & Save Lives.
This nonsense does neither.
It merely takes away more responsibility from the driver which in itself is self-defeating.

Well, that's my view..... Thanks for your patience. Stay Safe.

If they rotate tires, they have to do a relearn of the sensors for it to know. It has no clue where they moved the tires.

A perfect example, on my f350 my pressure light is on. I checked with a gauge and the fronts are at 60, rears at 80 like they are supposed to be.

I used forscan to verify this (looked at pressures, not description). Then it dawned on me when I had my tires rotated at the dealer they must not have relearned it because in forscan when I checked a 2nd time,I looked at the description. The rears were 60 (sitting in the front) and the fronts were 80 (sitting in the rear).

My point exactly. You rotate tyres as a matter of course and this system cannot accept the new positions...How is that an "advance"? That you have to "re-educate" the system? Not so bad for those of us that run a single pressure all round....but ludicrous when you change the use of the vehicle and increase the rear pressures, for a vacation, for example....... Barmy!

On my 2009 Highlander, the TPMS light came ON as I was on the highway approaching the city. I pulled into a parking lot and checked all 4 tires and found a screw in the sidewall of one of the tires. Had I not been alerted that there was a problem, I probably would have driven the 20+ miles back home. Instead, I was able to drive to the dealer and have a new tire installed. That warning light saved me a lot of inconvenience. Any time I have my wheels changed around the dealer automatically does the reprogramming. Count me in as a believer. My current vehicle hs different tire pressure front to rear.

Peter

On my 2009 Highlander, the TPMS light came ON as I was on the highway approaching the city. I pulled into a parking lot and checked all 4 tires and found a screw in the sidewall of one of the tires. Had I not been alerted that there was a problem, I probably would have driven the 20+ miles back home. Instead, I was able to drive to the dealer and have a new tire installed. That warning light saved me a lot of inconvenience. Any time I have my wheels changed around the dealer automatically does the reprogramming. Count me in as a believer. My current vehicle hs different tire pressure front to rear.

Peter

"FOUND A SCREW"..... At worst: A slow puncture.
.....may I suggest that you could have driven 20+ miles home. perfectly safely.
Any dangerous sensation..You'd have felt a problem before driving anywhere!...
(Or am I being hopeful?....Or are sensations when driving a trifle difficult?)
"that warning light..." Sorry...Not with you on that...... A warning light on the dashboard is not a road traffic light!
Good health, kind regards,...

You can thank the folks that don't check their tire pressures for the lovely TPMS on the vehicle now. That and others wanting to blame others for what they should be paying attention to and multimillion dollar lawsuits.

I actually don't mind if on my Explorer, at least when it is working properly which mine is now

You can thank the folks that don't check their tire pressures for the lovely TPMS on the vehicle now. That and others wanting to blame others for what they should be paying attention to and multimillion dollar lawsuits.

I actually don't mind if on my Explorer, at least when it is working properly which mine is now
Yes, I quite agree...we live in times where we are all encouraged to "blame someone else".
Not hard to figure who is 'fuelling the fires of litigation'!
Like anything else....whilst it is working it is fine.... it's all the associated nonsense we have to deal with when it is not.
Cheers.
Steve.

"FOUND A SCREW"..... At worst: A slow puncture.
.....may I suggest that you could have driven 20+ miles home. perfectly safely.
Any dangerous sensation..You'd have felt a problem before driving anywhere!...
(Or am I being hopeful?....Or are sensations when driving a trifle difficult?)
"that warning light..." Sorry...Not with you on that...... A warning light on the dashboard is not a road traffic light!
Good health, kind regards,...
I likely could have driven home but the tire was already showing signs of some deflation. Also, there is no Toyota dealership in the village where I live. The tire was replaced at the dealership under my Extended Warranty. That low PSI warning light saved the day.

Peter

Interesting, I've had my 2016 since Oct 15 and had multiple oil change/tire rotations (98k miles) and never had to do a relearn procedure. One time it took about 2 days for the sensors to reset. :dunno:
JAPeterson, you jinxed me....after my latest rotation 99,934 mi I have driven over 750 mi and my TPMS hasn't reset yet!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OOPS, sorry about that:rolleyes:

Back