• Register Today It's free!

TPMS Fault - Very Low Pressure

MistahYebba

Reaction score
City, State
Clearwater, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer XLT
When I first got my used '05 Explorer this weekend, there was a message that said "Check tire pressure" or something like that.

I stopped at the gas station on my way home and pumped up all of the tires to 36PSI.

Instantly after doing this, the message changed to "Tire Pressure Sensor Fault"

I got 4 new tires a couple days later, and now I have two messages... the same "Tire Pressure Sensor Fault", but also the occasional "WARNING - VERY LOW TIRE PRESSURE"...

All of the tires are pumped up fine.

I wonder... if these sensors within the wheels are set up to be "left front", "right front", etc... then what happens when you get your tires changed and rims end up being in all different locations? This must mess up the computer.

However, even if the locations are changed, the sensors should still read that each tire is pumped up to a sufficient level, and therefore not give me a warning....

--------

Where should I start?

Sounds like you have at least one bad sensor. These lose their battery at the 8-10 year mark. Have them checked and replaced as needed.

Sensors are pooched. Probably batteries at that age and anyone who works in electronics manufacturing will tell you that the life span of all those batteries is about the same, so when one goes the rest arent far behind. You could just go to a shop and have them replace all 4. Average up here is 100 bucks a tire. If you want to do just one, grab a programmer, off ebay or from the stealership. they run around 50 bucks. try and pair all the sensors. The ones that wont pair, or are a PITA to pair, are the bad ones. Then go on ebay and purchase a replacement, around 20 bucks. Pop the tire of the rim, lots of shops wont even charge you to do this just make sure you tell them its a ford band style so they start on the correct side of the tire, and then swap out the sensor yourself. Grab a pail of soapy water and some bars and Put it back together. Air it up, and pair the new sensor. Vola, no more TPMS alarm.

Back