• Register Today It's free!

TPMS/MFT in 2016 Explorer

Hawkeye93

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeville, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
I noticed in this video that the 2016 Explorer will display individual tire pressures for each tire (18:48 mark, and also discussed by the salesman toward the end). Also, the 2016 has MFT, not Sync 3. So my question is, could the individual tire pressures be available to the 2011-2015 Explorers with a MFT upgrade, or are the older vehicles missing some necessary hardware?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They copied this from Nissan who has had it for quite some time.

Many cars have had this feature for a long time. I wish my 2015 Explorer did, which is why I posed the question.

GM too. Wish the Explorer had it. We already have the sensors, why just a dummy light?

When you connect your SCT X4 programmer at the OBD II port you get individual tire pressures, so it's there, they just chose not to display it.

Kinda annoying considering GM On* App gives it to you on your smartphone.

When you connect your SCT X4 programmer at the OBD II port you get individual tire pressures, so it's there, they just chose not to display it.

Kinda annoying considering GM On* App gives it to you on your smartphone.

I bet it's there so they can just plug in for your "837 point inspection" they promise with every service. Faster than using a gauge on each tire!

Our '08 Chevy Impala has the each tires' tire pressure displayed on the dash, so it's not something new. I was disappointed when finding out my '15 Explorer lacked this despite all the tech.

Had it on my 08 Acura TL-S too. It was entertaining to watch the pressure rise while I was driving on cold days (as the tires heated up). I agree it's something that should be added in on one of the info screens in the dash.

Finally caught up to our 2006 Murano, although it doesn't specify which tire is which, just displays the 4 pressures.

Back