TPMS module location and the difficulty level of replacing it | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TPMS module location and the difficulty level of replacing it

MrRothstein

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 PIU
Howdy,

I've had constant issues with the "Tire pressure sensor fault." And it's not constantly on, it just comes on once in a while and then stays on for a while. Sometimes the while lasts for days, sometimes for hours. But it always comes back.

Today I had the sensors tested (while the fault was on) and the guy said they were all transmitting, so it may be the TPMS module.

Where exactly is the TPMS module located in the 2014 PIU and how easy or difficult is it to replace it? Is there a good tutorial out there? And can you also point me to the correct module to buy?

Also, will I need to have the system to relearn all the sensors after I replace the module? As far as I understand, I will need a separate gadget for that, too, yes?

Thank you!

Using the 'Search' feature I found this thread that may or may not be helpful. Not sure if the PIU uses the same location. TPMS Module Location?
Some members have had success in getting the relearn done by just driving for a while. Others have bought the programming tool while some, like me, just get the dealer to do it when changing wheels.
There are a few threads on relearning discussions. Here is one of them; Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion

Peter

Thank you, Peter. Unfortunately that thread wasn't too helpful as the link to the tutorial and all other links there aren't working.

If the module is behind the radio console in the middle, then I need a bit more specific instructions on how to locate it there and what it looks like. I recently installed an aftermarket radio and I don't remember seeing it there when I was replacing the radio.

Back