• Register Today It's free!

TPMS Module Location?

CommandPresence

Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT 3.5L NA
I was told by the dealership my module needed to be checked/replaced. I'm getting the tire monitor fault and its not the sensors in the wheel. I was told they had to remove the center console to get to the module, can anyone tell me where it is and what to look for? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmmm, there's also one in step 11. I'm wondering which is which.

Thanks Peter, I will take a look. I have a PIU so I wonder if its buried under the rubber flooring. I installed an OEM console, I wonder if I am pinching a wire somewhere.

The receiver would have been attached to the panel below the hvac controls. You would have had to remove it to install an OEM console. Hopefully you pulled it off and mounted it somewhere.

Dead Link Removed (link no longer valid)

That should help

The receiver would have been attached to the panel below the hvac controls. You would have had to remove it to install an OEM console. Hopefully you pulled it off and mounted it somewhere.
You're a lifesaver! I didn't have to move anything when I installed the console, So I will take a look this week for the module.

Alright well, just pulled the console out and radio, could not locate the module whatsoever. The pigtail (black/white) was just hanging near the radio. So, I took the module that came in the console I bought, and plugged that directly in to the pigtail. Still am getting the "tire pressure monitor fault" on my dash on startup. Not happy :/

Just to make sure have the correct plug in...8 pins slots, only 4 are used and wire colors are GY-OG, VT-OG, YE-RD and BK-BU?

If that is correct you may need to train the sensors then (should only have to if sensors in the wheels were changed from the last time the vehicle had a working system).

Although now that I think about it, if the vehicle was put in learn mode I wonder if that wipes the existing parameters and you would have to do a learn now no matter what?

Thanks jmr, I'll go try to get them to train shortly and report back.

YES!!! Plugged in to the module that I pulled out of the bottom of the console I bought. Plugged it in to that pigtail. Just took it for a ride, problem solved!!!

View attachment 95004

good to hear that its working

Attachment was just a picture of my instrument cluster with no warning lights Peter :) Thanks for your assistance Jason an Peter!

Recently bought a new to me 2018 Explorer XLT. Put on new tires with new TPMS sensors. I keep getting random pressure alarms for no reason, and the pressure readings in the dash randomly read "no reading" to real tire pressure but different every time. Sometimes it's 3 tires sometimes it's all 4. After replacing the sensors AGAIN I still have the problem. I now believe the problem is the receiver or module rather than the tire sensors. WHERE is that module? I can't afford the dealer $300 to replace it for me, but can get a new one for about $35 and replace it myself. But I can't find it. Any other ideas?

Welcome to the Forum Yohann. :wave:
Where did you get the TPMS sensors from? What part number are they? If they were for Explorers from 2011-2015, they won't work. Could you not have reused the existing sensors?

Peter

Recently bought a new to me 2018 Explorer XLT. Put on new tires with new TPMS sensors. I keep getting random pressure alarms for no reason, and the pressure readings in the dash randomly read "no reading" to real tire pressure but different every time. Sometimes it's 3 tires sometimes it's all 4. After replacing the sensors AGAIN I still have the problem. I now believe the problem is the receiver or module rather than the tire sensors. WHERE is that module? I can't afford the dealer $300 to replace it for me, but can get a new one for about $35 and replace it myself. But I can't find it. Any other ideas?
They were parts number F2GT 1A180 AB 315MHZ, as specified for this car. I replaced them because 2 of the old ones wouldn't let me put air on the tire.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back