• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

TPMS programming issue

Drewmcg

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ann Arbor, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 XLT 4WD
2002 XLS 2WD
Last fall, using eight rims that previously had no TPMS sensors (4 from an '02 Explorer and 4 new aftermarket), I had eight aftermarket (VDO?) TPMS sensors installed and four winter and four all season tires installed for the two complete sets of tires + rims. Costco programmed the TPMS on the winter tires/rims and I've had no problem all winter (so I know that the aftermarket TPMS sensors are compatible with the '10 Explorer).

I just swapped in the all season set of tires/rims, and tried to use the TPMS relearn procedure listed here: TPMS - FORScan forum . I am able to get the truck into TPMS learn mode, but cannot get it to relearn the front left sensor (and therefore cannot get it to relearn any of them).

Question: Does anyone know whether the relearn procedure is specific to OEM-only sensors? Is other equipment necessary for other TPMS sensors? I don't mind swapping the tires/rims twice a year, but hate the idea of having to pay a shop to re-program the senors twice a year.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Tech By Trade

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Your mom's house
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Sport Trac
You need the programming tool, they will run you about 20 bucks on amazon, or 50 at the dealer. The programming mode can also be reached by a set of brake ignition cycles. No forscan needed.

Drewmcg

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ann Arbor, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 XLT 4WD
2002 XLS 2WD
I got it (truck) into programming mode through the breaker technique, but could not get it to relearn. Maybe the tool would work. Are you talking about, or a Ford-specific one?

Tech By Trade

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Your mom's house
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Sport Trac

Drewmcg

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ann Arbor, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 XLT 4WD
2002 XLS 2WD
Thanks much. At least it's cheap!

Drewmcg

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ann Arbor, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 XLT 4WD
2002 XLS 2WD
Done and done! Easy peasy. Tanks TechbyTrade. One of the better $27 investments I've made in a while!

MotorCityFats13

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Flatrock MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer XLT 4.0L
walmart claims on their price board to do relearns for $0.00 and there is a china knock off tool for $10... too bad I still cant find the sensors for a even close to reasonable price