• Register Today It's free!

TPMS relearn

Bill McCauley

Reaction score
City, State
NORTH ARLINGTON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT
hey guys just wanted to know if i can do a tpms relearn with out the tool on my 17 explorer with push start ignition

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes you can. You have to put it into learn mode by turning on the accessory mode and then hitting the flasher button a few times. Then letting air out of the left front tire until the horn honks and then move around the vehicle clockwise. There is a post somewhere on here that explains it a lot better.

I did it that way a few times and then I just decided to bite the bullet and bought a tool off of Amazon. You still have to put the vehicle into learn mode but you don't have to let any air out and then refill the tire.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0774KLWWT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is a link to the thread on how to do it without the tool. One poster says the use the brake pedal and key but I had to use the flasher button on my 2016. Just make sure that you have a compressor to air the tires back up if you don't have the tool.

HELP! New TPMS training on 2016 Explorer

hey guys just wanted to know if i can do a tpms relearn with out the tool on my 17 explorer with push start ignition
Welcome to the Forum Bill.:wave:
I've never had to do mine since the dealer does it when I do my wheel (Winter) changes. I've also read that simply driving it will do it over time, although again, I can't confirm that.

Peter

Just so others are aware, you can get generic tpms relearn tools for <$10 on eBay (same as the one in the Amazon link above) or the Ford one for ~$20-25.

Well worth it to avoid the purge air from each tire and refill method.

Awesome thanks for the response guys will definitely look into the tool thanks

At 93k, started getting a RF TPMS error a few weeks back at highway speeds, and now it's on pretty much all of the time. Do these normally go bad at higher mileage, or should I try one of those re-learn tools first?

At 93k, started getting a RF TPMS error a few weeks back at highway speeds, and now it's on pretty much all of the time. Do these normally go bad at higher mileage, or should I try one of those re-learn tools first?
The batteries die in them and the lower voltage can cause problems with things. Plus at highway speeds you are heating up the air in the tire which will increase the pressure. If the sensor can't adjust or detect the pressure it will cause the warning.

The battery on the TPMS is supposed to last 10 years, but I suppose they can go earlier also.

I'm onto my 3rd set and went aftermarket this time (with the rubber stem) and they work perfectly.

I've got a driver's side tire that is throwing the TPMS error more and more. Will the relearn fix that or do I have to replace the TPMS sensor in the tire? If so, how do I do that? Thanks for any help.

I've got a driver's side tire that is throwing the TPMS error more and more. Will the relearn fix that or do I have to replace the TPMS sensor in the tire? If so, how do I do that? Thanks for any help.
If the tire pressure is good but you keep getting warnings, it could be that the TPMS's battery is dying. I don't know how one would check that. Ti replace the TPMS you would have to deflate the tire and break it loose from the rim to access the TPMS valve. I'm not sure how the valve is held in place.
This seems to be the one according to Levittown Ford, a forum vendor offering members a discount.
You may not save much over getting it at the dealership seeing as there is approx. a $29 difference.
Apparently, according to what I found on the Internet, you can, with some work, just replace the battery but personally I think I'd just get the new sensor

Peter

Back