• Register Today It's free!

TPMS Repair

F SANE IL

Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer EB V6 4x4
Think I might be able to replace the batteries in my TPMS sensors.

So I had bought the learning tool since I had no idea which sensor was bad, that and programming a new one later on. Then purchased two new sensors on eBay. So, now I have the two non working TPMS and decided to mess with them. Turns out they're super easy to open and pull the battery.

I'm going to attempt battery replacement and if anyone is interested, I can make a How To.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

your talking about the sensors with the band and not the ones that look like a valve stem correct? if so id be interested in hearing what kind of battery these take and how to replace them.

yes, please post, where are those sensors ?

I got one repaired and it worked like a charm. The only thing is that I haven't tested it in the tire. Should technically work. I'll update with pics.

Added pics to first post. I'll add details later. Always on the go.

Think I might be able to replace the batteries in my TPMS sensors.

So I had bought the learning tool since I had no idea which sensor was bad, that and programming a new one later on.

One, or maybe more, of my sensors is sporadic. It comes on after driving a long while and the doesn't light up again until the next long drive. Does the learning tool you purchased tell you which one is bad? What brand is it and where did you get it?

Standing by for all the details on this one. Mine are all working but I just bought the 2006 w 125K miles on it and do not know the status of the TPMS's, ie, whether they are original, OEM or aftermarket.

Don't know about this tool to determine a specific failure, either.

I think the only way you can determine a specific sensor failure (at least with the commonly available TPMS tool) is to perform the TPMS programming function. If you are unable to get a sensor to respond after several attempts, it's possibly bad.

One, or maybe more, of my sensors is sporadic. It comes on after driving a long while and the doesn't light up again until the next long drive. Does the learning tool you purchased tell you which one is bad? What brand is it and where did you get it?

I pretty much used the learning tool, put the car into program mode and kept going around the car programming each wheel. If one didn't work, I skipped and went to the next wheel.

As for repairing the sensor, it works perfect but pain in the ass process.

Your option is either EBay new or fix yours. If you chose to fix, get the learning tool and find out which are dead. Then pull the tire so you can remove the sensor.

Anyone have a link for a TPMS tool?

Gee Whiz, you could buy a whole new set of monitors for the price of some of those.

It's the Ford TPMS-19 like seen here -

TPMS 19 tool

This is the same tool I bought. I got it used on Ebay, cost me $25. Also, since I had two bad sensors, which later turned out to be three since by the time I went to replace them, a third one gave out.

I bought one sensor from from this seller.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190875600971?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

The battery inside the sensors is a standard 2450N. Just make sure that you carefully take off the metal prongs attached to the old one since you'll need to solder them to the new one.

Was going to post the pics of the sensors, but they come out gigantic. This is probably easier to see, but you can see how it looks top and bottom when open.
http://f-sane.com/frmpost/extpms1.jpg
http://f-sane.com/frmpost/extpms2.jpg

FSI, how did you know you had one bad sensor and that it was not just a dead battery? How is the strap that holds them onto the rim secured? Do you just pop the sensor case apart? Are the tabs soldered to both the sensor board and the battery?

Also, does the 'tool' use a battery or is it passive? In other words, I was wondering about the shelf life if I were to buy one?

I have no idea as to the status of my sensors, ie, whether they are all original and about to die or whether they have been replace with either new OEM or aftermarket devices. An average owner would probably not go to this extent and would probably just buy something new.

FSI, how did you know you had one bad sensor and that it was not just a dead battery? How is the strap that holds them onto the rim secured? Do you just pop the sensor case apart? Are the tabs soldered to both the sensor board and the battery?

Also, does the 'tool' use a battery or is it passive? In other words, I was wondering about the shelf life if I were to buy one?

I have no idea as to the status of my sensors, ie, whether they are all original and about to die or whether they have been replace with either new OEM or aftermarket devices. An average owner would probably not go to this extent and would probably just buy something new.

1. The dash said failed sensor, I had no idea if it was sensor or battery, but since the sensor is sealed and can not be damaged by water, what else can kill it? a. Its either not present at all. or b. squashed. I figured its probably the battery. (took a chance)

****Like I said initially, since I had several bad sensors (two) that would not respond to the programming tool. I bought one and fixed the others as not to be on down time****

2. I changed the first sensor then took the old one apart to see if i can fix it. Took off the plastic band that is held by plastic welds off the sensor itself, then scraped off the silicone, then unsoldered the battery terminals. Broke off the terminals from old battery and soldered to the new one. Then placed battery to the terminals on the sensor and tested programming with the car. Once that worked, I soldered it all permanently in and closed it all back up.

3. When purchasing, you do NOT need bands or cradles unless the stuff in your wheel is broken off or doesn't exist. The sensors them selves are easily removable with a small flat screw driver to remove a retaining plastic clip and then prying the sensor off the cradle with a larger flat head.

I can take pics of a completely closed sensor with a plastic band still one it as well as picture of a cradle and retaining clip.

FSI, how did you know you had one bad sensor and that it was not just a dead battery? How is the strap that holds them onto the rim secured? Do you just pop the sensor case apart? Are the tabs soldered to both the sensor board and the battery? Also, does the 'tool' use a battery or is it passive? In other words, I was wondering about the shelf life if I were to buy one? I have no idea as to the status of my sensors, ie, whether they are all original and about to die or whether they have been replace with either new OEM or aftermarket devices. An average owner would probably not go to this extent and would probably just buy something new.

Sorry, forgot I address these:

Tool uses battery. I'm sure it would last forever since it's only on for a few seconds to program one wheel. As soon as it pairs the sensor in the wheel to the car TPMS, it turns off. Don't worry about shelf life.

As for sensors. Nowadays they are fairly cheap on eBay. Only thing is, if you need to purchase sensor, band cradle. Use the link I provided and buy new. Buying used sensors definitely won't guarantee longevity as they were taken off another car.

My personal preference. I try to buy items related to electronics only OEM. I'm picky and **** about that. As for brakes and such. Chinese brands off eBay.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That one doesn't have replaceable batteries. they are the ones I threw in my boss summer rims. They are a sealed unit. They are a little cheaper on ebay too, around 25 bucks each. For 25 bucks, I would just replace the entire thing rather then pissing around trying to change batteries.

Back