TPMS Sensor question

SHUMAX

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Explorer Sport
I need to find four TPMS sensors for a set of OEM 2011 Limited Rims. Unfortunately, I have not time to order them and wait. I need them tomorrow, Friday morning at the latest.

I see that Autozone sells the sensor for $48.

http://www.autozone.com/engine-mana...ylinders-8-3-5l-sfi-dohc/269849_108558_18934/

I'm not terribly familiar with these, so I need guidance. If I buy these, is there anything else I need? I'm in good with my local Firestone, so I am hoping I can take these four sensors to them and have them install them on my other set of rims. They quoted me $100/tire, which seemed high when I found them for $48/sensor*4. I'm sure they will have some sort of fee to "program" them.

Anything else that I need to be aware of? Will the ones in the link above work?

Shumax

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm in good with my local Firestone said:
In good with them? A hundred bucks a tire is not a defining moment as to being 'in good' with a dealer, IMO. They will not have to remove the tires from the rims and they will have to program the sensors but, it shouldn't cost much more for the parts and programing and labor that it would add up to a hundred bucks a tire. If this is the case, you need to make sure they throw in the programmer in the deal. maybe it's a case of having to rebalance the tires if you don't have the originals installed and you are just replacing them?

You can get the sensors and programmer from tire rack for much less. This may be a cheaper route if you are willing to wait.

I'm don't know the reasoning for needing them at a certain time though. Going without them for a period of time won't affect anything using the vehicle other than not having the use of the sensors. :salute:

In good with them? A hundred bucks a tire is not a defining moment as to being 'in good' with a dealer, IMO. They will not have to remove the tires from the rims and they will have to program the sensors but, it shouldn't cost much more for the parts and programing and labor that it would add up to a hundred bucks a tire. If this is the case, you need to make sure they throw in the programmer in the deal. maybe it's a case of having to rebalance the tires if you don't have the originals installed and you are just replacing them?

You can get the sensors and programmer from tire rack for much less. This may be a cheaper route if you are willing to wait.

I'm don't know the reasoning for needing them at a certain time though. Going without them for a period of time won't affect anything using the vehicle other than not having the use of the sensors. :salute:

They will need to break down the current rim/tire package and install the sensors. Mount and then balance...done. Their issue is the sensors. Their price point was higher than $48.

If I buy these sensors in that link, can I take just those to the Firestone and have them break the tire down, install/program, balance and be done? That's what I'm trying to get figured out. Or, do I need a tool SPECIFIC to those SPECIFIC sensors?

Reason for the push? Vehicle is being sold and this set of rims/tires are going with it. Keeping the other set that already has sensors for another vehicle.

Thanks,
Shumax

They will need to break down the current rim/tire package and install the sensors. Mount and then balance...done. Their issue is the sensors. Their price point was higher than $48.

If I buy these sensors in that link, can I take just those to the Firestone and have them break the tire down, install/program, balance and be done? That's what I'm trying to get figured out. Or, do I need a tool SPECIFIC to those SPECIFIC sensors?

Reason for the push? Vehicle is being sold and this set of rims/tires are going with it. Keeping the other set that already has sensors for another vehicle.

Thanks,
Shumax

So, you have two sets of tires and rims. Are the ones needing the sensors on or off the vehicle at this point? If they are off the vehicle and you are having them installed after the sensors are installed and taking off the other set, the price point you have from the dealer may be legit. Especially if balancing is involved. Therefore the only difference may be in the cost of the sensors and the tool to program them.

in any case, since you are selling this vehicle and have it sold(?), your options are limited by time and should probably go with the dealer and their price. But, I'd ask them about the programming tool and if it's part of the deal. I believe they may be unique to the sensors anyway. I could be wrong. :salute:

I need to find four TPMS sensors for a set of OEM 2011 Limited Rims. Unfortunately, I have not time to order them and wait. I need them tomorrow, Friday morning at the latest.

I see that Autozone sells the sensor for $48.

http://www.autozone.com/engine-mana...ylinders-8-3-5l-sfi-dohc/269849_108558_18934/

I'm not terribly familiar with these, so I need guidance. If I buy these, is there anything else I need? I'm in good with my local Firestone, so I am hoping I can take these four sensors to them and have them install them on my other set of rims. They quoted me $100/tire, which seemed high when I found them for $48/sensor*4. I'm sure they will have some sort of fee to "program" them.

Anything else that I need to be aware of? Will the ones in the link above work?

Shumax
On the invoice I have from when I bought the 18" Interceptor wheels it shows TPMS *12* Kit - TPMS Sensor. Not sure if that is more than just the sensor or not. I was charged $55/sensor by the dealer.

Peter

Back