• Register Today It's free!

TPS issue? P2135

ChrisP87

Reaction score
City, State
Fremont, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer AWD
Hey guys, new to the forum, not to the motor though. I have an 08 explorer 4.6L. Decent truck, usually runs beautifully, I’ve barely had to do anything with it except normal maintenance since I bought it two years ago. But now I’m fighting with an issue. I’ll start from the beginning…

i had a small coolant leak to start. It obviously progressed as they normally do and I started seeing two spots on the driveway and of course after inspecting everything, found that my radiator had two small cracks.

No big deal, ran to autozone, gave them year make model, had the radiator the next day and replaced it. I did notice one thing though, that the transmission coolant line connectors were different. The lines seemed to fit, clicked in nicely, but the retainer clip didn’t. So I was hesitant about it, and I was right. The driver side line blew out while driving, and transmission fluid went EVERYWHERE. Towed my baby home, went back to autozone with a wtf just happened to me look. Needless to say, my awd model that didn’t come up as an option magically appeared when they put my vin in. Replaced it again (at Warranty cost) and all was well, cleaned her up, and she was good.

Well, today, a few days after fixing it and driving it with no issues, my baby died on me a few times. Once just while idling in the driveway and again when I was driving it (35mph). Started right back up both times and finally threw a code.

P2135.

So I did all the tests and this is where I need help. At idle tps 1 is at 16% tps 2 is 22%. They adjust simultaneously but with a wider range the further the pedal is depressed. Neither are erratic on the live data feed. I back probed the tps sensor and read normal according to everything I’ve read. 5.02-5.06v. With a 3.5v ground.

so…am I looking at just replacing the tps sensor? I’m already planning to get a junkyard sensor for it to just throw on if that’s the case. My concern is, what is the possibility of that trans fluid leak causing unknown damage to wiring or what else do I need to be looking at? What other testing do I need to do? Are the readings normal at idle? I’m running to the junkyard tomorrow to grab a sensor anyway, which will really just tell me but I’m more concerned about the trans fluid that got all over.

D9AF38A0-7A22-4D27-8748-E3822170FF10.jpeg

Hey guys, new to the forum, not to the motor though. I have an 08 explorer 4.6L. Decent truck, usually runs beautifully, I’ve barely had to do anything with it except normal maintenance since I bought it two years ago. But now I’m fighting with an issue. I’ll start from the beginning…

i had a small coolant leak to start. It obviously progressed as they normally do and I started seeing two spots on the driveway and of course after inspecting everything, found that my radiator had two small cracks.

No big deal, ran to autozone, gave them year make model, had the radiator the next day and replaced it. I did notice one thing though, that the transmission coolant line connectors were different. The lines seemed to fit, clicked in nicely, but the retainer clip didn’t. So I was hesitant about it, and I was right. The driver side line blew out while driving, and transmission fluid went EVERYWHERE. Towed my baby home, went back to autozone with a wtf just happened to me look. Needless to say, my awd model that didn’t come up as an option magically appeared when they put my vin in. Replaced it again (at Warranty cost) and all was well, cleaned her up, and she was good.

Well, today, a few days after fixing it and driving it with no issues, my baby died on me a few times. Once just while idling in the driveway and again when I was driving it (35mph). Started right back up both times and finally threw a code.

P2135.

So I did all the tests and this is where I need help. At idle tps 1 is at 16% tps 2 is 22%. They adjust simultaneously but with a wider range the further the pedal is depressed. Neither are erratic on the live data feed. I back probed the tps sensor and read normal according to everything I’ve read. 5.02-5.06v. With a 3.5v ground.

so…am I looking at just replacing the tps sensor? I’m already planning to get a junkyard sensor for it to just throw on if that’s the case. My concern is, what is the possibility of that trans fluid leak causing unknown damage to wiring or what else do I need to be looking at? What other testing do I need to do? Are the readings normal at idle? I’m running to the junkyard tomorrow to grab a sensor anyway, which will really just tell me but I’m more concerned about the trans fluid that got all over.

View attachment 332173
I can’t answer the radiator or stalling problems, however I did a couple of things different with my TPMS in my 2006. When I put a lift and new wheels and tires, I did not put the sensors back on the wheels. I actually dropped all 4 sensors in a small pvc pipe (2” x3” long) glued caps on it, put a tire air chuck on it, added 40 psi through it in the back of my Explorer and it tricked the sensors into being in a properly inflated tire full of air. That lasted until the sensor battery went dead. Then I went to EBAY and bought a TPMS bypass for around 60$. It basically sends a signal to your Explorer saying your TP is good to go so you don’t have lights on your dash. Good luck with the rest of your issues.

I can’t answer the radiator or stalling problems, however I did a couple of things different with my TPMS in my 2006. When I put a lift and new wheels and tires, I did not put the sensors back on the wheels. I actually dropped all 4 sensors in a small pvc pipe (2” x3” long) glued caps on it, put a tire air chuck on it, added 40 psi through it in the back of my Explorer and it tricked the sensors into being in a properly inflated tire full of air. That lasted until the sensor battery went dead. Then I went to EBAY and bought a TPMS bypass for around 60$. It basically sends a signal to your Explorer saying your TP is good to go so you don’t have lights on your dash. Good luck with the rest of your issues.
I don't see where the original post says anything about a tpms sensor. I do see where he is talking about a tp sensor and that is a throttle position sensor.

I believe the p2145 is the same code i had on lincoln navigator and replacing the tps fixed the problem. Fordtechmakuloko on youtube did this video
This is what i used to diag the problem on the lincoln. He also has a video on how to replace it without breaking it.

Back