tps plug found stripped wires | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

tps plug found stripped wires

07 mercury mountaineer 4.0
so i started getting a tps fault so i went to investigate and image shown is what i found. i dont know why someone would have done this and not even atleast wrapped the wires back up. Im just curious if anyone has a clue why someone stripped the 4 wires. im suprised i wasn't having issues relating to this before this weekend. well aside from my original post from when i joined up. maybe someone was just trying to diagnose an issue and forgot to tape them up. either way if someone has some geusses of other possibilities. may even lead to other locations i should investigate.

View attachment 326561
My 2008 ford explorer had same problem triggering false positive engine codes on my FIXD scanner/app that cleared once I insulated each cable with electrical tape. I started having minor irritating electrical issues so I sold it at 197000 mi.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Must be a madman running around “cleanly” stripping these wires... Hide ya wives, hide ya daughters, they stripping everything out here.

View attachment 326658
you make jokes but ive seen dumber things done but ive usually found a reason it was done. i wasn't aware there was a poor wiring issue in these trucks. geuss i should be on the lookout for more wiring problems.

Regarding root cause:
- Are there bits and pieces of the wiring inside the convolute? This would indicate brittle insulation that broke with time
- Was the convolute chewed up at all? This would indicate rodent

Regarding root cause:
- Are there bits and pieces of the wiring inside the convolute? This would indicate brittle insulation that broke with time
- Was the convolute chewed up at all? This would indicate rodent
In my case, the wires were not taped past the convolute. There was a bend immediately after the convolute and the convolute chafed the insulation off. This was true in all 4 cases where I made a repair.

so i started getting a tps fault so i went to investigate and image shown is what i found. i dont know why someone would have done this and not even atleast wrapped the wires back up. Im just curious if anyone has a clue why someone stripped the 4 wires. im suprised i wasn't having issues relating to this before this weekend. well aside from my original post from when i joined up. maybe someone was just trying to diagnose an issue and forgot to tape them up. either way if someone has some geusses of other possibilities. may even lead to other locations i should investigate.

View attachment 326561
Not that it matters to much what caused it but I would bet my a** that was a rodent of some sort. If you zoom in really close there are tiny bits of the wire insulation looks like it was chewed. I’d be setting me some traps!!! My recommended repair is depinning that plug and sliding shrink wrap on each wire and maybe even one around the bundle. Good luck catching Speedy.

you make jokes but ive seen dumber things done but ive usually found a reason it was done. i wasn't aware there was a poor wiring issue in these trucks. geuss i should be on the lookout for more wiring problems.
Actually, the best news for you would be that this was done intentionally. This might mean you don't have issues with deteriorating insulation which would be a much bigger headache as time passes.

I learned many years ago to visit the forums covering vehicles I intended to purchase. Then spend a lot of time reading posts. It has saved me from buying into a lot of problems.

94eddie i dig those wheels on your merc i have the same one makes me want to get some wheels on it

I vote "looks too similar to be chaos theory, must be that your wife is trying to kill you". ;)

Looks like mice have been gnawing on them. I live in the country and that is a common problem. Mice teeth never stop growing, so they gnaw to keep them in check..

94eddie i dig those wheels on your merc i have the same one makes me want to get some wheels on it
I do like the looks of them but they could stand to be refinished. I am on the fence about the low profile tires on an SUV though. The ride quality is not as good as my old 2002 Explorer due to the thinner sidewalls. Also, they aren't what I would want for off roading situations.

View attachment 326561
YES SIR IT HAS STARTED LET ME TELL YOU FROM MUCH EXPERIENCE TO SAVE YOU A WHOLE L;OT OF TIME AND MONEY REPLACE THE MOTOR SIDE HARNESS. YOU WILL GET BREAKS UNDER THE TAPE AND ITS NOT GOING TO STOP.I FIXED 15 DIFFERENT SPOTS ON MY LAST TILL I JUST REPLACED THE WHOLE HARNESS.DO NOT BUY A USED ONE BECAUSE IT IF NOT ALREADY WILL BE DOING SAME THING. THE HARNESS IS ONLY COUPLE HOUNDRED. THIS GOES FOR EVERYBODY FROM 2002-2010

View attachment 326561
replace the motor side harness trust me i have had four of these and this goes for everybody with 2002-2010. Once the harness get brittle it is going to keep breaking in different places even under tape. Save yourself a lot of time and heartache just buy a new one. DO NOT buy a used one because you will have same issue

Looks like mice have been gnawing on them. I live in the country and that is a common problem. Mice teeth never stop growing, so they gnaw to keep them in check..
It’s not mice. It’s not stripped or cut. It’s bad insulation.

YES SIR IT HAS STARTED LET ME TELL YOU FROM MUCH EXPERIENCE TO SAVE YOU A WHOLE L;OT OF TIME AND MONEY REPLACE THE MOTOR SIDE HARNESS. YOU WILL GET BREAKS UNDER THE TAPE AND ITS NOT GOING TO STOP.I FIXED 15 DIFFERENT SPOTS ON MY LAST TILL I JUST REPLACED THE WHOLE HARNESS.DO NOT BUY A USED ONE BECAUSE IT IF NOT ALREADY WILL BE DOING SAME THING. THE HARNESS IS ONLY COUPLE HOUNDRED. THIS GOES FOR EVERYBODY FROM 2002-2010
You suggested buying a new harness, I’ve been looking for one for an 06 4.6 and every place I looked says they are discontinued. Where did you get your harness?

I do like the looks of them but they could stand to be refinished. I am on the fence about the low profile tires on an SUV though. The ride quality is not as good as my old 2002 Explorer due to the thinner sidewalls. Also, they aren't what I would want for off roading situations.
I agree they would be going on the wifes 06 Merc 2 wheel drive premier. Its a pavement pounder only. The 96 we take camping ect

replace the motor side harness trust me i have had four of these and this goes for everybody with 2002-2010. Once the harness get brittle it is going to keep breaking in different places even under tape. Save yourself a lot of time and heartache just buy a new one. DO NOT buy a used one because you will have same issue
So, for the 4.0l engines, is this the correct harness that needs to be replaced?: 8L2Z-12A581-BA

You suggested buying a new harness, I’ve been looking for one for an 06 4.6 and every place I looked says they are discontinued. Where did you get your harness?
Greetings. Sorry to jump in here, but does this deteriorating wiring harness issue apply to the 4.6L V8 engine as well or is this an issue specifically for the 4.0L V6? Thanks much.

Greetings. Sorry to jump in here, but does this deteriorating wiring harness issue apply to the 4.6L V8 engine as well or is this an issue specifically for the 4.0L V6? Thanks much.
I believe that it is most likely to occur in 06 & 07 V6 models. It could be a numbers issue, many more V6s were sold than V8s.

I have seen posts here where it has happened in V8 models too. It would be interesting to know if this occurs in vehicles that are driven in a certain type of climate(s) or if driven a lot on gravel roads with certain underlying soil types etc. These issues seem to happen somewhat frequently but if it was solely caused by insulation material, without other mitigating causes, I think we would see a lot more people reporting this problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have seen posts here where it has happened in V8 models too. It would be interesting to know if this occurs in vehicles that are driven in a certain type of climate(s) or if driven a lot on gravel roads with certain underlying soil types etc. These issues seem to happen somewhat frequently but if it was solely caused by insulation material, without other mitigating causes, I think we would see a lot more people reporting this problem.
Thanks to both 94Eddie and Beachcomber86. I think mine has spent most of its life inside rather than sitting out. I will try to look at mine and see what condition the harness is in and report back here. Out of town right now.

Back