• Register Today It's free!

TPS question

1998Explodasport

Reaction score
City, State
Brockton, Ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
I tried replacing the TPS on my 2001 SOHC Sport and everytime I did it would set a code. I tried 2 different (new) TPS sensors and I got the same result each time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can someone just tell me if there is some adjustment that needs to be made after installing it. I thought that I read some where that there is but after searching I can't find anything.

I have 3 OHV Explorers and have swapped parts including TPS. When I swapped TPS, both had no noticeable change and threw no code.

If you still get a code with 2 different, new TPS's, then it's a good bet that the sensor(s) is not the problem. You didn't state what the code is, but assuming it's for TPS problems; carefully check all the wires to/from the TPS. Trace them all the way back to the PCM, and make sure no are cut/broken.

You can also check both input voltage (should be 5v) and output (should be below 1v at closed throttle, and above 4.5 volts at WOT) Search the forums for posts on how to do this/what to look for. Try searching "TPS voltage" or TPS check" , etc....

TPS DTCs

If you disconnect the TPS electrical connector when the ignition switch is in run the PCM will "notice" that the TPS output voltage is out of range and set a diagnostic trouble code.

I agree with Carguy3J that if you keep getting TPS related codes after swapping the TPS then you probably have some other problem. The PCM measures the TPS output when the ignition is switched to Run and assumes the value to be associated with closed. See my Helpful Threads for a TPS Test Procedure.

Ok thanks for the replies. I don't remember the codes because I thought the new TPS was bad and I have other issues I am working on, I believe the code was something to do with the voltage being low. I don't get a code with the old TPS, I will install the new TPS tomorrow and report back the code.

Ok thanks for the replies. I don't remember the codes because I thought the new TPS was bad and I have other issues I am working on, I believe the code was something to do with the voltage being low. I don't get a code with the old TPS, I will install the new TPS tomorrow and report back the code.

If you didn't get a code w/ the old sensor, then why did you replace it in the first place? Were there other symptoms?

Don't forget to clear the codes, drive until it comes back (if it does), then check and report on the code.

Oh, also check all your ground connections. Perhaps their is a bad ground somewhere.

I had an unexplainable rough idle and the sensor was cheap so I wanted to try it. I am in the process now of cleaning up all the grounds under the hood so I hope that cures my problem.

Tomorrow I am going to put the new sensor in and see what the code is and I will post it tomorrow.

I had an unexplainable rough idle and the sensor was cheap so I wanted to try it. I am in the process now of cleaning up all the grounds under the hood so I hope that cures my problem.

Tomorrow I am going to put the new sensor in and see what the code is and I will post it tomorrow.

I hate when people don't actually post back results. So...did you actually fix it?

Back