tps testing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

tps testing

nameskreen

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Ford Explorer Limited
I have a 2007 Explorer 4.0l and it has a wrench light that goes on and off several times a day. My scanner showed no codes, but it will intermittently jerk when I shift into drive or reverse and drivability issues. I want to test the tps voltage but I can't find the procedure for a 2007. Mine has 4 wires blue/orange, white, green, and yellow. Does anyone know which wires I connect my meter to? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jerking when put into drive or reverse doesn't sound like a TPS issue to me at all. Does the engine have a high idle once it is warmed up with no AC on? The 4.0's are not really known for TPS issues and if the wrench light goes on the system should show a pending code not necessarily a stored code so see if you can capture it by driving with the scanner connected. What do you mean by drivability issues? Right off the top, with just the little info that you posted, I am thinking that it is more of a transmission issue than anything else.

Thanks for the reply. No, the idle is normal. I haven't experienced the drivability issues,my daughter described it as jerking. I have a scanner that hooks to my laptop and I drove around with that connected while the light was on and still no code. When I searched for "wrench light" alot of people had similar symptoms and stated that it was the tps. That's why I wanted to find out how to test the sensor

If the light is constantly on then there is a code. I would swing by autozone and see if they can pull a code with their scanner. It could be a code that is not recognized by your laptop.
If it was the TPS you would possibly get a DTC of P0120 to P0124 at a minimum. With your laptop you should be able to see what your idle and WOT settings are (expected values around 0.5V at idle and 4.5V at WOT) and that would give you a general idea if it is working about right.

Unfortunately my laptop scanner doesn't show throttle position sensor voltage only oxygen sensor voltage. That's why I wanted to know which wires on the tps that I hook my meter up to so that I can get a voltage reading.

Here is the link from a previous post
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309410
tps is 1 or maybe 12 possibilities that wrench light is on. I believe you can't replace tps alone since it is included in your ETB. If you have driveabilty issues, then it maybe a transmission. Hope it's not your case.

Yeah,the transmission crossed my mind also. But I could test the tps for free and possibly rule it out and move on to something else if I could figure out how to test it

I'll give you the reference value for all the sensor later. Im here in the middle east for a vacation and obviously its early morning here. Give me sometime, I'll get back to you.

My daughter's boyfriend took it to work and pulled a p0713 code. 'transmission fluid temperature sensor high output. He pulled the connector and there was water in it and corrosion. He cleaned it and put dielectric grease in it. It's been 2 days. So far, so good.

Glad to hear that you got it sorted out. The transmission corroded connector is a common occurrence caused by the HVAC condensate drain draining onto the connector.

Good you solved the issue.

For general knowledge, the tps, I have a 2010 V6 and I changed it about a year ago, I believe it´s the only thing you can change of the throttle body. Mine wasn´t giving any code but the truck felt like jumping when I accelerated, it was evident it had a flat spot. It was corrected after I replaced it, now the truck accelerates smoothly. To replace it you need a heat gun to brake the bolts loose, instructions come with the TPS, very neat. Just in case the OP needs it (hope not) or anyone else.

Thanks everyone for all of your responses

Back