• Register Today It's free!

Tps!

danwaters

Reaction score
City, State
Fallbrook, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer 5.0 limited
Anyone have a clue exatly where the throttle postion sensor is on a 97 5.0 explorer. Maybe have a picture?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks

I know there are many DIYers here, but why anyone would go to the trouble of adjusting a TPS is beyond me. If the reading is off, most likely the sensor is bad. The only time I mess with them is if a code is related. There are a some vehicles with adjustable TPS, but not many. If the sensor is within the specified range I cannot see how changing the sensor voltage will accomplish anything other than wasting time.

The TPS is always mounted to the throttle shaft without fail.

I've also argued the adjustment thing 'til I was blue in the face, but a hundred thousand lemmings can't be wrong, can they?... any OBD-II equipped vehicle uses TP to show three conditions: closed (i.e. RATCH voltage), part throttle, and wide-open throttle along with the rate of throttle change. It doesn't care what the RATCH voltage is, specifically; it learns the RATCH voltage and calls that 'closed'.

The whole TPS adjustment is carried over from the old EEC days where the ECM wanted to know the specific voltage. That's just not the case on our trucks, but people go on and on about how much of an affect the adjustment made to the performance and throttle response... But it's all anecdotal, 'seat-of-the-pants', butt-dyno results. It's exactly the same mentality that sells a hundred thousand Tornadoes a year too.

-Joe

I know there are many DIYers here, but why anyone would go to the trouble of adjusting a TPS is beyond me. If the reading is off, most likely the sensor is bad. The only time I mess with them is if a code is related. There are a some vehicles with adjustable TPS, but not many. If the sensor is within the specified range I cannot see how changing the sensor voltage will accomplish anything other than wasting time.

Just posted that link for the picture. :biggthump

Back