TPS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TPS

Rowkid

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer sport
Hi Guys, I have a 1998 Explorer sport 4.0 with CEL code P1121,P1120. I have replaced the TPS twice but the same codes appear. The truck runs great with smooth acceleration and smooth idle. However it does not kick in the passing gear when I floor it getting on the highway. No hesitation and it gets to speed impressively. It has 300k on it but does not use oil at all. No leaks. I need it to pass MARTA for Tennessee soon otherwise I would just drive it. Thanks in advance. Rowkid

Check for bad connections at the connector. If that doesn't work, start back probing the wires to see if any are broken. Over time, those wires get hard and brittle to the point they break. The P1121 is a Throttle Position Sensor Inconsistent With MAF Sensor High Voltage fault code. I had an air leak between the MAF and the Air Filter housing that kept setting a lean code. Try cleaning the MAF sensor and see if that does the trick.

Also make sure you installed the correct TPS because the 4.0L OHV (1995-2000) and SOHC (1997-2003) have opposite TPS rotation.

I agree with above I found my broken wire under the intake in the bundle of wires

Gray with red stripe on mine

Back