Tracking Down Front End Knock | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tracking Down Front End Knock

SR77

Reaction score
City, State
Central NJ
I have had a front end knock/wobbling noise on my 96 Explorer Limited for over a year now and I cant find where it is coming from. I will do my best to try to describe it. The knocking noise sounds like it is coming from the left side suspension area. It is only really noticeable if I am doing 10mph or less as when i am up to speed it is too loud to hear the knock. Also i can feel it through the steering wheel. Now hear is the tough part, it is really only noticeable when the outside temp is warm(above 50-60 degrees), when it is colder out I cann't really hear or feel it. It sounds like something is loose on the left side but I cannot track down where it is coming from. I had the lower ball joints replaced a little over a year ago along with the brakes and it went away for a little while but then returned. My buddy is a service manager at a local Ford dealer so I stopped over to have a tech take it for a ride and he definitely heard the knock/wobble noise. I had it there this week and they said it was and replaced the outer tie rod ends and the sway bar end links but this did not fix it. What do you guys think, any opinions. thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well, inner tie rod, half shaft/cv, or hub assembly is shot

is it when you hit a bump?

If so search on Kevlar Pad replacement. I think mine are shot, just waiting for the warmer weather.

if it was when you hit a bump, mine was front shocks........

I was gonna go with end links, but you said you replaced them. Maybe came loose a bit? Torque 15 to 21 ft. lbs. Best way I found to track down noises is to have someone rock the vehicle while you climb under and start grabbing on to things and feel for it. The strongest knock that you feel is usually the offending part. Also check sway bar bushings, if you haven't already.

Thanks for the replies. Shocks are brand new too so its not them and I also checked for loose bolts etc.. Its not really when i hit a bump, the best time to hear the knock/wobble is when i am on a fairly smooth street going around 5-10 mph. The small variation in the road that makes the suspension move very little is when it is at its loudest. The small suspension movement is just enough to move whatever is loose or worn. Once I am up to speed or on a really bumpy road the other noises and speed are too much to hear the knocking. I have tried to replicate this noise in my garage with me underneath and a friend helping, but i can't get it to do what it does while driving. The whole temp thing where is got to be warm out to really hear it good has got me clueless too. thanks for the help

jack up the front of the vehicle and check bearings, try wiggling the front tire with your hand at 12 and 6, then 3 and 9. That would help you check if it's bearings if there is excessive play. Look at cv shafts see if the boots are ripped . Were it's speed associated I would think it would have to do with one of those 2.

I have the same problem!! Mine started AFTER I replace all the ball joints. I've double checked everything and nothing is loose!

I'm starting to suspect the rack and pinion? I jacked up the truck, shook the wheel, and was able to hear something simular.

Also, just because you replace something doesn't mean it's not at fault. Could have a bad part; it happens. Just a thought.

Im still thinking tierods....my were solid with the wheel on, so i decided to check alittle better. My outer was SHOT. And the inner wasnt great. replaced them, vibration and knock gone.

As mentioned before it sounds like the kevlar pads for the torsion bars. Mine does the exact same thing, only in warmer weather, can only hear it at slow speeds. I sprayed lithium grease on the torsion bar mounts in the back, I mean I just covered them with grease. Took a drive around town and the noise was gone. That lasts about a week or so. You can try that and if it eliminates the noise, then your problem is more than likely the pads.

Dan

I am having that exact problem, if the outer tie rods are shot you should definately check and replace the inners as well.

I am replacing my outers this weekend and haveing the inners done when I have an alignment next week.

You have described my problem to a T, especially when the temperature is warmer, wonder why this is the case?

Thanks

When, it gets alittle warmer out I am going to drop it back off to my buddy at Ford to see if they can find it cause I am having no luck tracking it down. Tried everythng mentioned hear, but stick have the wobble. I am leaning toward the ball joints, but we'll see. if it gets fixed I will reply back with the problem. thanks again

This is queer. i have the same damn problem, i tried swaybar links, didnt really help, lately ive just said screw it and turned up the volume a little louder, but if i can find a solution im more than willing to try it. thanks!

My 2001 Limited does the exact same thing. I'm going to change the outer tie rod ends and the shocks. They all need replacing anyway. I'll let you know if it fixes mine.

Back