traction bars

95offroadx

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Palmyra, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer xlt
is there any traction bar out there for a ford explorer with a spring over axle?

im trying to get my trucks performance back, and trying to gain a few doing this, i heard that a stock ranger ran 16.0 and with a traction bar it ran 15.7, now would it help a explorer that much?

since my 4.0ohv will only never have 200hp(in the future) and still have a al4d tranny, im looking to shave down my track times without gaining hp, my starting out with the little ones and gonna work to the big ones(heads/cam/supercharger/nitrous) who really knows

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you do realize a traction bar is for traction. ive never drove an explorer that had traction problems on the street(nevermind on a sticky track) so how would it help performance?

So you converted to spring over?
James Duff sells traction bars for you, both above the leaf style and link style

Also second gen traction bars will bolt on with a bit of work..

talincolnlsc said:
you do realize a traction bar is for traction. ive never drove an explorer that had traction problems on the street(nevermind on a sticky track) so how would it help performance?

well im trying to have 0 axle wrap, better traction in the rain, this is just a mod that will help a little bit now, but it will help a lot more in the future when im 4.0ohv has 200hp, and 4.56 gears

im really intrested in the lakewood traction bars
traction bars

how much modifying would be needed?

you can build "traction bars".

but I'm confused :confused: - your name suggests that you're an off roader but there's mention of shaving down track times . do you have two Explorers or something?

its both im just tryin to make it a great all around truck

those lakewood traction bars arent going to help w/ the offroading part at all!! low your ground clearence gained from sas.

Tommy

A drag/offroad explorer, hmmm... *Grabs popcorn* I cant wait to see this one play out.

For now, I would get those enlarged anti wrap perches. Ladder bars are a BIG step mainly ment for something with the HP/TQ to produce serious axle wrap. My guess is, you wouldnt even feel a difference. Maybe once you get to 200 RWHP and 230 RWTQ? ish range then you would benefit from bars. And if you plan on wheeling this, I believe ladder bars will decrease your rear travel, plus dragging on every rock in sight. Anti wrap perches have no negative offroad effects that I can think of.

But wernt you just looking for a skyjacker 8"? And your worried about its handling? I learned there are centain things you have to sacrifice when lifting an explorer. Ride comfort, stability and performance are the 3 biggest ones.

Well, to offer some helpful insight. I think the ranger framerails are in the same line with the explorer rails, so yes it should bolt right in. But you could make those for half the price.

Back