• Register Today It's free!

Traction control light popped on

brianh

Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD
So I was pulling out of a gravel lot uphill and my rear wheels started to slip. The 4wd must have kicked in automatically to get me up the road. I could feel the groaning of the front differential on the dry pavement while driving up the hill. Quickly driving was back to normal.

Then later on while driving I took a sharp bend and the traction control light came on steady. It stayed on until I shut the vehicle off. I waited a few, then drove a short distance home and the light did not come back on.

Any reason to worry about this or is it normal operation? The vehicle didn't drive any different when the light came on. I will have to wait and see the next time I drive to see if it comes back on. I have a code scanner, but not sure if this is an event that would produce a code.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it stayed on, then yes a code should have been stored in memory. It sounds like you may have had a rock stuck in between the ring and the speed sensor. You may have even chipped one of the teeth off of the ring. For the life of me right now I cannot remember the correct name of the ring that is pressed on the back of the hub that the speed sensor uses. ABS ring?

If it stayed on, then yes a code should have been stored in memory. It sounds like you may have had a rock stuck in between the ring and the speed sensor. You may have even chipped one of the teeth off of the ring. For the life of me right now I cannot remember the correct name of the ring that is pressed on the back of the hub that the speed sensor uses. ABS ring?

ABS tone-ring
And I agree with your theory. Either dislodged a pepple or there is a damaged/missing tooth. May or may not show up again.

Great, thanks for the info. I drove around today and no light. Plugged in the code scanner and no code. I did a visual check on the tone rings on the rear cv's, no signs of damage or missing teeth there. Must have been a rock, so that is good news!

its normal mines does it sometimes...especially since my tires are woren out and driving in the rain

Back