Traction Control System icon is on intermittently on the dash panel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Traction Control System icon is on intermittently on the dash panel

pnedry

Reaction score
City, State
PETERSBURG, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Sport Trac 4X4 Limit
I took my 2010 Sport Trac to a Ford dealer to have the TCS icon checked out. It is only on intermittently. At first it was on at the dealer. The technician 'cleared' it because it was a 'communication error' with the control panel. The rest of the service was complete, so I started the vehicle to drive off. The TCS icon was on again. I left the vehicle running to show the technician; they again took it into the shop for diagnosis. After a few minutes I was told that there was a 'communication issue' with the control panel and it would cost approx. $700 to replace the control panel to correct (parts & labor). Does this sound correct?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Communication error most probably means corrosive connectors nor the module replacement issues (or the module was seriously damaged mechanically anyhow).dont try to replace ANY component before all of the ABS connectors disconnected,secured and cleaned.

Start cleaning from the TSC sensor cluster thru console connectors to the ABS module.

In most shop module replacement processes ,CAN problems solved only because of the connectors reassembled during the job.

According to OEM workshop manual,no module allowed to be replaced until the whole CANBUS pinpoint test failed.

Communication error most probably means corrosive connectors nor the module replacement issues (or the module was seriously damaged mechanically anyhow).dont try to replace ANY component before all of the ABS connectors disconnected,secured and cleaned.

Start cleaning from the TSC sensor cluster thru console connectors to the ABS module.

In most shop module replacement processes ,CAN problems solved only because of the connectors reassembled during the job.

According to OEM workshop manual,no module allowed to be replaced until the whole CANBUS pinpoint test failed.
Thank you for your suggestions. I can do a lot of cleaning and verification (now that I'm headed in the right direction) before parting with $700!

What module they want to replace and what did they check prior to the final diagnosis?

The only Ford IDS error codes scan procedure almost means nothing.

I took my 2010 Sport Trac to a Ford dealer to have the TCS icon checked out. It is only on intermittently. At first it was on at the dealer. The technician 'cleared' it because it was a 'communication error' with the control panel. The rest of the service was complete, so I started the vehicle to drive off. The TCS icon was on again. I left the vehicle running to show the technician; they again took it into the shop for diagnosis. After a few minutes I was told that there was a 'communication issue' with the control panel and it would cost approx. $700 to replace the control panel to correct (parts & labor). Does this sound correct?
I don't know the answer , I'm sorry, but, I have the same car, same issue( among others). Mine actually feels like it's lopsided when this light comes on. I think there is a sensor that needs replacing , is all. The one that meters how fast your driving, tpms, tire pressure monitoring system. Does this light come on, also?

I don't know the answer , I'm sorry, but, I have the same car, same issue( among others). Mine actually feels like it's lopsided when this light comes on. I think there is a sensor that needs replacing , is all. The one that meters how fast your driving, tpms, tire pressure monitoring system. Does this light come on, also?
Well Traction control will disable when it does not get inputs (wheel speeds from all 4 wheels), so not the TPMS sensors, but the ABS sensors which are at all four wheels. The code should be set for the sensor though, and it could be intermittent.

Back