Traction control?

CallMeSyd

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer NBX 4.6 4x4
I have a 2004 NBX with TC and AdvanceTrac. I'm currently getting "Check AdvanceTrac" on info center and cruise does not work. I assume it's the pressure switch on the master cylinder. So, I guess my AdvanceTrac is not working. It does, however, say that TC is on. My issue is, when I turn at a stop sign, light, or just around a curve, it acts like I've taken my foot off the throttle. You can actually feel and hear the throttle let off and rpm drop. It is very annoying. I'm on asphalt and there is no chance I'm going to lose traction, but it does it all the time. Is this the TC doing this? If so, how do I turn it off? I have tried holding the button and all kinds of stuff but it never turns off. Is my TC button bad? Is this loss of acceleration normal when turning on even the slightest turn on solid asphalt?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's abnormal. Traction Control icon (squiggly lines) on left illuminating briefly? Any codes?

That's abnormal. Traction Control icon (squiggly lines) on left illuminating briefly? Any codes?
That light stays on constantly, not intermittently. Codes P0581, P0406, C1233. I have changed the EGR valve (P0406) and code came right back. And C1233 is intermittent but most of the time the sensor works fine. I still plan to get a new one anyway. Sensor seems to be working when this happens, so I don't think that is the issue. I can't figure out what is happening.

I would be wanting to see live data on wheel speed in your situation, look for a discrepancy there. The module thinks you're loosing grip in a corner and is backing off the throttle.

Anyone know how to turn off the traction control? Or is my switch bad?

You likely have a wheel speed sensor failing. This can also make your ABS ineffective.

You likely have a wheel speed sensor failing. This can also make your ABS ineffective.
I'll change that left front wss and see if it changes anything. I only get a code for that one.

It was the wheel speed sensor. It was sending a bad signal causing the traction control system to cut the throttle. Weird. Anyways... in the spirit of not making a whole new thread, hopefully someone is still reading this and can tell me how to find the cruise release switch to go on my master cylinder. I have the traction control version that mounts on the bottom of the master cylinder, not the regular one that fits on the top. I am having a hard time finding the correct part and I don't want to order the wrong thing. The connectors are different. Anyone done one before and can point me in the right direction?

Also, is there some kind of fuse for the traction control or is my button bad? Is it supposed to light up? I can't turn off my traction control.

It was the wheel speed sensor. It was sending a bad signal causing the traction control system to cut the throttle. Weird. Anyways... in the spirit of not making a whole new thread, hopefully someone is still reading this and can tell me how to find the cruise release switch to go on my master cylinder. I have the traction control version that mounts on the bottom of the master cylinder, not the regular one that fits on the top. I am having a hard time finding the correct part and I don't want to order the wrong thing. The connectors are different. Anyone done one before and can point me in the right direction?

This it? It's very expensive.

I got chinesium parts from ebay for $20 using the item numbers on the diagram. Didn't fix my inop CC but that's likely because of a crappy aftermarket remote start installed by the previous owner.

I got chinesium parts from ebay for $20 using the item numbers on the diagram. Didn't fix my inop CC but that's likely because of a crappy aftermarket remote start installed by the previous owner.
That actually looks like the right part lol I've been looking for that forever. All I could find are the normal 2 pin ones. Thank you so much! Now if I could just get someone to answer and tell me why I can't turn off my traction control.

I actually did some digging and found it for $15 lol.

I actually did some digging and found it for $15 lol.

Yeah god knows if the ebay parts are any good. the CC on my 05 doesnt work and I replaced mine in hopes of getting it working.. No joy, but finding the correct part number was a bear.

May not be relevant but my 2003 Lincoln Aviator Cruise control was inop because a second Brake pressure sensor (on the master cylinder) was stuck. There is a primary and a backup secondary pressure sensor/ switch in that design. FYI

Re the part number in the post: This may be the brake boost sensor that is apparently part of the Advance trac system in my 2002 Explorer (EB). In addition to wheel speed sensors, there are inputs from the brake system , and a centrally located accelerometer that feed into the ABS/Advancetrac electronic module.

May not be relevant but my 2003 Lincoln Aviator Cruise control was inop because a second Brake pressure sensor (on the master cylinder) was stuck. There is a primary and a backup secondary pressure sensor/ switch in that design. FYI

Re the part number in the post: This may be the brake boost sensor that is apparently part of the Advance trac system in my 2002 Explorer (EB). In addition to wheel speed sensors, there are inputs from the brake system , and a centrally located accelerometer that feed into the ABS/Advancetrac electronic module.
Secondary? Where?

The circled switch is the secondary sensor, I assume the primary is the one by the arrow. Won’t know if picture is legible til I upload.

D216DB6B-D75B-49C3-B974-77457515EEEB.jpeg

The circled switch is the secondary sensor, I assume the primary is the one by the arrow. Won’t know if picture is legible til I upload.

View attachment 436433
On my XLT sport the sensor is hanging down from the bottom. It's been a while since I looked at it but that looks different from what I remember.

This is how they are on ours.
Screenshot_20220911-010538_Gallery.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back