• Register Today It's free!

Trade for Aviator?

ponkotsu

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Lincoln Aviator
I love my Mounty, but was thinking about "upgrading" to a Lincoln Aviator. Anyone have any thoughts? It's basically same as a 3rd gen Ex, but more plush...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well, my only thought is you know what you have. buying any used vehicle is always a bit of a crap-shoot. i know nothing about the power train on the Aviator, but if it has the same transmission as the '02 Explorer/Mountaineer... beware. be sure to do the research before you buy. check out www.carcomplaints.com

The '03 Aviators frequently have the rear gear whine from the diff. It is also said the front lower ball joints don't last very long.

I just replaced mine at 134,000 miles and they were still nice and tight (I probably didn't need to but did anyway)

There's more than 'just more plush'

Way more HP than a X 302hp, 300ft/lbs torque DOHC 4.6L witha dual length intake plenum. Long runners for low RPM then a door open and shortens the runners for high RPM.

It does require 91 ocatane fuel though!

Suspension geometry is a little different

Glass is thicker and A,B and C columns are foam filled to cut down on noise.

That just some of the differences.

Attachments

• IMG_2616-1.jpg
    IMG_2616-1.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 192

The '03 Aviators frequently have the rear gear whine from the diff. It is also said the front lower ball joints don't last very long.

I just replaced mine at 134,000 miles and they were still nice and tight (I probably didn't need to but did anyway)

There's more than 'just more plush'

Way more HP than a X 302hp, 300ft/lbs torque DOHC 4.6L witha dual length intake plenum. Long runners for low RPM then a door open and shortens the runners for high RPM.

It does require 91 ocatane fuel though!

Suspension geometry is a little different

Glass is thicker and A,B and C columns are foam filled to cut down on noise.

That just some of the differences.

how's the fuel economy? I guess it's similar to the 5.0 Explorer?

how's the fuel economy? I guess it's similar to the 5.0 Explorer?

fuel economy seems to be a bit worse than the 5.0 Explorer. i'm seeing 13-18 and that's premium fuel. seems to be quite a bit heavier than an Ex.

fuel economy seems to be a bit worse than the 5.0 Explorer. i'm seeing 13-18 and that's premium fuel. seems to be quite a bit heavier than an Ex.

EX curb weight is 3900, Aviator is 4800. :eek:

I average 16.5 with a 60hwy/40city.

Have gotten up to 21 on the hwy.

Right now its about 3mpg better than my off-road 1st gen X on the hwy.

The trick is to keep your foot off the skinny pedal :(

It has a tow rating of 7,000lbs! :D

I average 16.5 with a 60hwy/40city.

Have gotten up to 21 on the hwy.

Right now its about 3mpg better than my off-road 1st gen X on the hwy.

The trick is to keep your foot off the skinny pedal :(

It has a tow rating of 7,000lbs! :D

I dont have a specific Aviator in mind, but seems like they are pretty easy to come by, and usually well maintained. I'm getting tempted. Maybe this summer I'll sell the Mounty and buy an Aviator. Or then again, I might as well go all out and get the Navigator.

Gotta wonder why its 900lbs heavier than an Ex though. That's a lot of insulation and wires for power goodies.

and thicker glass.

The options to look for are;
Advance trac traction control:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Heated and cooled seats:thumbsup::thumbsup:
2nd row bucket seats
Sun roof (maybe most of them have it)
Entertainment system (with the infrared headphones)
Nav system.

The Coil On Plug's have had a short lifespan. Ford extended the warranty on them from 75k to 100k and they can be time consuming to troubleshoot. I've replaced 2 already but then, I have 135K on mine.

Oh, and the plastic on the bottom of the rear hatch window tends to crack due to differences in expansion/contraction between the plastic and the glass. Same thing happens on the X.:mad:

Take a look at this thread;http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273858&highlight=aviator

Any one got some idea what I should pay for one? I see prices all over the map. I've seen them as low as $5k, or as high as $15k. I'm thinking it should be in the same price range as same year EB or limited. You can argue its worth more because its a Lincoln, but you can also argue its worth less because it is rare and difficult to get serviced. I would guess there are very few in the u-pull and pay.

$5k will probably be a high mileage 2wd base version

$10k will have more desirable vehicles. AWD, maybe heated and cooled seats and maybe 2nd row buckets (they call Captains chairs)(the controls for the heat/cool seats is on the door arm rest. Look for a thumb wheel (adjusts hot/cold)

Here is one around here with AdvanceTrac. Doesn't list mileage though. http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/ctd/3703338051.html

$15k will be your low mileage (under 80k) AWD with all or most of the options I listed above, including traction control. (the button for AdvanceTrac is on the center console right above the cup holder) Even with all that, $15k is too high.

Traction control might be hard to find.

As for parts, you're right. Not many in the JY's but then again do you really want to put JY parts on your Semi-Luxury SUV? Most of the mechanical parts are standard Ford stuff. Body panels and trim pieces (inside and outside) will be Lincoln specific.

If I recall correctly, there were only about 250,000 ever made during the 3 year run '03 to '05.

In the Atlanta area, there's a bunch of 2003's "for sale by owner" on Craig's List for around $6-7k. They all look pretty nice. Don't know about how they're optioned. They seem to come pretty well optioned from the factory. You just wouldn't look right driving one of them where I live (too rural) mostly Appalachian Americans here and way too much banjo music.

Gotta wonder why its 900lbs heavier than an Ex though. That's a lot of insulation and wires for power goodies.

Ex Sport was 3900, Ex was listed up to 4800. They are very similar in weight when a Ex limited is compared to an Aviator, within 100-200 I would have to guess

Add in the fact that the Navigator has thicker side glass, more sound deadening on all the large areas of sheet metal, foam filled pillars, more metal in some of the body parts...

In the Atlanta area, there's a bunch of 2003's "for sale by owner" on Craig's List for around $6-7k. They all look pretty nice. Don't know about how they're optioned. They seem to come pretty well optioned from the factory. You just wouldn't look right driving one of them where I live (too rural) mostly Appalachian Americans here and way too much banjo music.

I'll keep that in mind. If I decide to buy one this summer I have no problem traveling for a really good deal. I think you are right. Probably can find one for 6k or so. In this economy there's always somebody willing to sell cheap for quick cash. Also considering a Navigator. Much cheaper and easier to find. I don't think the fuel economy is much different.

You're right. I just checked craigslist in Atlanta. What's with the glut of Aviators? Buyers market for sure.

Back