• Register Today It's free!

Traded my 13 XSport for a 16

Mdanielswv18

Reaction score
City, State
Hurricane, wv
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Explorer Sport
Traded my 13 sport for a new 16 sport last weekend. I picked up the 16 with 401A, power moonroof, and 2nd row buckets in magnetic grey. I threw my cold air intake on as soon as I got it home along with my husky liners. I tinted the windows, added 8k HIDs to the foglights, tinted the headlights and fog lights with Lamin X film, and blacked out all the emblems over the weekend. I also blacked out the center of the hood with matte black vinyl. I would like to throw an exhaust on this one along with a Livernois Performance tune. Those H&R springs look tempting too.

20151029_163658_zpsxnsundnz.jpg
"]
20151029_163658_zpsxnsundnz.jpg
[/URL]

20151031_170623_zpsomadcugo.jpg
"]
20151031_170623_zpsomadcugo.jpg
[/URL]

20151031_170831_zpsl9mpjbxw.jpg
"]
20151031_170831_zpsl9mpjbxw.jpg
[/URL]

20151031_170158_zpsptxzcqhh.jpg
"]
20151031_170158_zpsptxzcqhh.jpg
[/URL]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What are your thoughts between the two? Do you feel that 16 is a worthy upgrade over the 13?

I like some of the new features of the 16. The powerfold 3rd row and the pushbutton flip and fold of the 2nd row is great. Having actual buttons for the climate controls vs. using the touchscreen for everything on the 13 is better. I like the led headlights also on the 16. It seems to drive a little smoother than the 13 did but I feel like the 13 had more power. My 16 only has 1k miles on it so this might get better as it breaks in. The 16 also has a bit louder exhaust note. My wife drives a a lot so mileage was the only reason we traded. I considered a Durango RT this time but I am really glad I went with another Sport. I vented the blow off valves to atmosphere on this one when I installed the intake but I am not sure I like it. The bovs pop off way too much even when you are not in boost. On my modded Evolution X the bov never releases unless I am under boost or at least you can adjust it to be less annoying. I hope someone makes a nice upgraded intercooler pipe that we can throw some better blow off valves in. I've seen the turbosmart ones on the f150s but can't find much info on them working on the explorer.

Traded my 13 sport for a new 16 sport last weekend. I picked up the 16 with 401A, power moonroof, and 2nd row buckets in magnetic grey. I threw my cold air intake on as soon as I got it home along with my husky liners. I tinted the windows, added 8k HIDs to the foglights, tinted the headlights and fog lights with Lamin X film, and blacked
Nice looking Sport but I don't understand why you would want to reduce the light output of both the head and fog lamps by tinting them.:dunno:

Peter

I used the really light tint on the headlights, it protects them from chips and hazing. The fog lights I did darker because I have really bright HIDs in there anyways and I like the blacked out look in the daytime. It really just made the hid light from the fogs match the led light from the headlights at night so it didn't cut out the light output very much. This is mainly for protection from hazing over time and scratches. I had the same thing on my 13 sport and run it on my Evo also. It holds up really well and if you decide you want to pull it off a few years later it will leave your headlights looking brand new once removed.

Very sharp looking.
If I can comment on one thing, that would be the centre vinyl not covering the entire contour of the edges.

sweet man, i wound up going with a silver 16 instead of the magnetic that I originally wanted. Looks great.

What % tint on the headlights? and did you do it yourself?

Noticed you have the front camera...do you have ACC as well?

Yes I did the Lamin X on the headlights and fogs myself. Color is tint on hl and smoke on the fogs if you are on the Lamin X site. Its pretty easy to install just clean the lenses real good and apply the film wet, heat any bubbles out with a heat gun on low.

No I didnt think I needed the adaptive cruise control option. That silver looks really good on the 16s too.

Back