• Register Today It's free!

Trading my X for a Mountaineer!!

miagonz85

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Hi guys, i came across this Mountaineer for a really good deal and decided to go with it. Gave the guy a deposit and will be picking it up tomorrow!! It's a 2000, 5.0 with 91k, from one owner. Really clean in and out, everything works.. No oil leaks, not rust, never been in any accidents, drives really smooth compared to my 98' X with 178k. I got it for $3500 which i think it's a good deal. Here are some pics of the truck, not the greatest quality since i got them in the wrong size, i'll take better pics tomorrow..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is the Mountaineer. I'll post pics of my current explorer next, which will be for sale soon, after 8 years!!

Attachments

• M_1.jpg
    M_1.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 351
  • M_2.jpg
    M_2.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 359
  • M_3.jpg
    M_3.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 335

Nice!

Thanks! This is my X, i really like both. LoL!! I just like the Mountaineer a little better cause of the mileage, condition, features, the leather and the fact that it has the 5.0.. Even though my X is really clean aswell, minus the extras and engine size.

Attachments

• X_26.jpg
    X_26.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 353
  • X_27.jpg
    X_27.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 331
  • X_28.jpg
    X_28.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 344

Wow both of them are very clean. I wish mine was that clean when I still owned it.

You are gonna love the 5.0

Yea, i drove the 5.0 and there is a noticible difference in the way it drives even though it's practically the same truck. Maybe the torsion bars have a different rate on the Mountaineer, plus the v8's torque, it's different. The only down side is that it's a 2wd, i really wanted a 4wd, but i guess swapping the input shaft and adding a 4406 t/c will resolve the problem. Even if i spend $1k doing this, will put me at $4500 total on the Mountaineer which in my opinion is worth the price. I figured i would have had to do this to a 4wd aswell (minus the input shaft/ front differential)..

i've been reading about the 5.0 mpg's and i'm starting to worry!!

My pretty much stock 96 limited 5.0 with 300,000 miles gets outstanding mileage for its age. I usually average 20-22 on the highway and 16-18 in the city. One time i averaged 24.6 with a 12ft kayak on the roof but that was in perfect conditions (strong tail wind the whole trip lol). And yes i drive like grandma so that helps.

Then again i see other people with 5.0s that are getting 12mpg so i dont know. Hopefully yours is a factory freak like mine

Even if it isn't, it's really no different than the V6. Not sure where you're reading MPG's from, Miagonz, but seriously- they're virtually the same.

I went this morning and transfered the title, the guy left to work while i went to pick up my g/f to drive the mounty home. As i was driving it home i notice a jump in the transmission as if it stays in neutral and then grips (40-45mph), it only does it while i drive it slow, when i test drove it i drove it hard and didn't notice it!! I can't believe i missed this!! The minute i felt this i called the guy and he tells me the truck wasn't doing that.. So i argued with him and kept going in circles, he kept saying it wasn't doing that.. Bottom line, i made a bad deal... I love the truck but now a transmission repair is going to put me over the car's value.. I'm very disappointed, specially at my self for not doing a full check up of the truck..

I'd try a pan drop or turkey/baster/refill of the trans fluid first.

You mean drop the transmission pan and check for something unusual?? What's the turkey/baster/refill?
I spoke to my cousin in Miami, FL who owns a transmission shop, he said it sounds like it could be the valve body or the o/d lock pin which are the usual on these transmissions. I just dropped it off at a shop just to get a written estimate to show the guy who sold me the truck and try to get him to at least cover half. But the repair i'm planning on doing my self.. At leats the removal and install of the tranny i know how to do which will save me some $.
And I was so looking foward to enjoying my new mounty this weekend!! Taking it for a cruise! instead i'll be under it giving it a welcome home!!

I wouldn't worry one bit. I average 19-21 mpg mixed with my 5.0L and it has 205K miles. Hasn't given me one problem besides normal maintenance like brakes, fluid changes etc. Probably Ford's best drivetrain! Congrats on the purchase, the mounty always had a great, unique look to it. :thumbsup:

Yep- pan drop, quick check, then refill. The baster- some will just pull the fluid up through the fill tube, then replace- even less invasive.

Interested what you find out from the shop.

Yep- pan drop, quick check, then refill. The baster- some will just pull the fluid up through the fill tube, then replace- even less invasive.

Interested what you find out from the shop.

Might not hurt to put in a drain plug on the tranny pan for future fluid checks. It just makes the whole process that much easier. The guy who sold you the car probably should have disclosed that "minor" fact about the tranny. Kinda scummy. It is hard to believe that your tranny is cooked after only 91K, its a very robust auto...

I just averaged 21mpg hwy on a trip down to Philly this past weekend in 100+ degree weather doing 70+ the whole time.

Might not hurt to put in a drain plug on the tranny pan for future fluid checks. It just makes the whole process that much easier. The guy who sold you the car probably should have disclosed that "minor" fact about the tranny. Kinda scummy. It is hard to believe that your tranny is cooked after only 91K, its a very robust auto...

It sounds like a bad torque converter.

The transmission on my 01 cooked at 107K. Swapped it out for a unit with 78K miles and it drives amazingly.

Went around and got three different estimates. One form the salvage yard on a used tranny for $300/ 30 day guarranty. The other two where from transmission shops, they both said that these transmissions have a common problem with the over drive lock pin, but they say that's not my problem, that they'll have to take the transmission apart to check. the check engine light is not on, so is something mechanical.. I'm kind of going over my options here, not sure what to do.. :scratch:

I would try changing the fluid. They just want to get into your walle... er... transmission. :D

I look at it this way- if the trans is going to go, fluid or not, it's going to go. Try the fluid, and it might cure a problem. Lots of ill-running trans' have been remedied by a fluid change. It's probably never been changed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

"I'm kind of going over my options here, not sure what to do.. "

Joe Dirt is telling you exactly the right things to do;have a little faith. My 5.0 gas mileage is about the same as reported, 17 -20.5. :thumbsup:

Back