Trail/travel tool list... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Muleman36

Reaction score
City, State
Muleman36
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0 XLT
So I'm currently working in New England and taking my 97 5.0 AWD with me...

I drove home for a long furlough over the Christmas/New Year's holidays. While I love having my handy 380 piece Kobalt tool set with me on the road, I feel I could downsize a bit and save some space/weight(and not have a black box trimmed with blue that says "steal me" in the cargo area.)

Is there a list somewhere of all the socket and torx sizes a 2nd gen requires?

I know I can just continue to messily toss a Navajo blanket over the contents of the cargo area, but I think a comprehensive list would be handy for more than just myself.

Thank you in advance for the input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think of you compiled a list of everything you could need fastener wise you’d end up carrying your complete set, plus a bunch of stuff not included. If you want to be prepared for anything, I’d bring the whole set.

You could always get a factory cargo cover.

Consider the most likely maintenance and repairs you may have to do, based on your milage, maintenance history. Do you have a garage or relegated to a parking lot? Rotate tires, oil change? That type of work would go to a shop, I think. New plugs, failed water pump, serp belt/pulley/tensioner replacement? Worn bearing hub replacement, replace shocks, front control arms - these would require a good jack and stands. Otherwise, metric and standard sockets and ratchets, extensions, breaker bar, screw drivers, pliers, crescent wrenches, scrapers, heat gun or propane torch. consumables you can pick up as needed. Consider putting the blue trimmed box in a cardboard box, or some other generic tool box. Definitely get the factory cargo cover.

Your tool kit is going to vary inversely with how well maintained your vehicle is.

If you’re a ‘drive and fix **** as it breaks’ type, you’re gonna need to carry a lot, as anything can go at any time. If you’re totally **** retentive about maintenance, you’ll only need tools for the little things. The simple fixes.

I don’t carry much. Small bag with a basic socket set, screwdrivers, etc. But I also maintain my trucks meticulously, log my repairs, preemptively replace things that can leave me stranded, etc. So the odds of getting stuck are pretty low. If something catastrophic happens, that’s what towing is for.

Funny how this site doesn’t ban **** or ass, but you can’t say a-n-a-l lol

I keep this under my wife's back seat and a small floor jack and a four way in the back
However she could drive her truck anywhere fast lol

Amazon product ASIN B0767PMCD8
∆∆ not as good as my favorite tools but perfect for a set in a pinch

After I retired from the Navy, I spent the last 17 years traveling and working at powerplants all over the country. I started with the 98 XLT but then eventually was given a company car. About 5 years ago they got rid of company cars and just started paying us mileage, so I got a VW Diesel to get the most miles per gal and make some money.

Soon after, I had to change tires 3 times in the snow on the side of the interstate during the same winter (hit debris hidden in the snow which destroyed the tire each time). After that, the first tool that I went out and bought to carry in the car was a cordless Milwaukee impact gun. In the winter those lugs shrink in the cold causing the torque on them to go up and it can be a PITA to get the lug nuts to break free. Throw in some road salt for some added corrosion and even with a spider wrench and 250 lbs of body weight it can be a real fun time in -20F windchill.

When I saw that Milwaukee had their big 1/2 drive impact on sale I bought my first Milwaukee tool. I think I still spent around $400 on that big boy, but it was the best money that I ever spent. It has 4 settings and I've only had to use the third one once. If I ever put it on the forth setting I think the car would flip over if the bolt didn't snap first.

It also has been worth its cost every time that I rotate tires or put on snow tires. And I also have the piece of mind knowing that I can always use it to break free any nut on anything that doesn't have to be cut off with a torch.

So If you are doing a lot of traveling, do yourself a favor and spend the money to take a quality impact gun with you.

One other thing that I suggest to anyone that is going to take any vehicle as old as these on extended drives or be driving in the middle of nowhere, is to take spare radiator hoses and belts with you. Sure if you get a hose leak or break a belt it is an easy fix but not if the small town that you limp into doesn't have the hoses or belts in stock.

If you don't want to waste money on something that you might never use then just save your old hoses and belts the next time that you change them. Sure the ones that you are replacing are at the end of their life and that is why you are replacing them, but they could come in real handy in a pinch and last long enough if you are stranded.

This advice is coming from a guy who drove a 20+ year old Rabbit Convertible, that I bought used for $700 then fixed up, from Charleston SC to Bremerton Wa. before cell phones and lived to tell about it (That 81 Rabbit still runs and is sitting in my garage for the chicagoland winter).

Your tool kit is going to vary inversely with how well maintained your vehicle is.

If you’re a ‘drive and fix **** as it breaks’ type, you’re gonna need to carry a lot, as anything can go at any time. If you’re totally **** retentive about maintenance, you’ll only need tools for the little things. The simple fixes.

I don’t carry much. Small bag with a basic socket set, screwdrivers, etc. But I also maintain my trucks meticulously, log my repairs, preemptively replace things that can leave me stranded, etc. So the odds of getting stuck are pretty low. If something catastrophic happens, that’s what towing is for.
I should have mentioned the condition of my vehicle and my habits...

My 97 5.0 AWD just turned 100k miles last week in my drive home from Rhode Island to MO for Christmas. While I haven't started changing "major" parts yet, I've slowly been replacing piece by piece as I go. Coil packs, plug wires, plugs, brake parts, shackles, serpentine kit/new pulleys ... All of the hoses should have been first and will be next etc...

I'm mainly trying to narrow down which standard and metric sizes to bring and which to leave behind, so I can continue to tinker and replace "the little things" in the parking lot at the hotel.

I have a couple local friends nearby with lifts and all the tools I'd need for major repairs, so I shouldn't be needing to haul too many specialty tools. But if there's a "must have" oddball size for a specific part or sensor, I'm not against making the space.

After I retired from the Navy, I spent the last 17 years traveling and working at powerplants all over the country. I started with the 98 XLT but then eventually was given a company car. About 5 years ago they got rid of company cars and just started paying us mileage, so I got a VW Diesel to get the most miles per gal and make some money.

Soon after, I had to change tires 3 times in the snow on the side of the interstate during the same winter (hit debris hidden in the snow which destroyed the tire each time). After that, the first tool that I went out and bought to carry in the car was a cordless Milwaukee impact gun. In the winter those lugs shrink in the cold causing the torque on them to go up and it can be a PITA to get the lug nuts to break free. Throw in some road salt for some added corrosion and even with a spider wrench and 250 lbs of body weight it can be a real fun time in -20F windchill.

When I saw that Milwaukee had their big 1/2 drive impact on sale I bought my first Milwaukee tool. I think I still spent around $400 on that big boy, but it was the best money that I ever spent. It has 4 settings and I've only had to use the third one once. If I ever put it on the forth setting I think the car would flip over if the bolt didn't snap first.

It also has been worth its cost every time that I rotate tires or put on snow tires. And I also have the piece of mind knowing that I can always use it to break free any nut on anything that doesn't have to be cut off with a torch.

So If you are doing a lot of traveling, do yourself a favor and spend the money to take a quality impact gun with you.
+1 on the cordless impact. It's amazing how handy they are.

Hoses are next on my list to be replaced. U joints (which were supposedly replaced when the front end was gone thru by the previous/original owner) will be after that when I swap out the transfer case for a low range capable unit.

I am a pipe welder by trade, odds are that you and I have worked in many of the same powerplants over the years. Thank you for the reply

I’d just keep a generic 6mm-19mm 1/4 and 3/8 set. Keep them in a soft bag and stuff it out of sight. I wouldn’t try and pare it down to single socket sizes, that way you don’t hinder yourself because you’re missing that one socket you tried to save space on.

Give your ball joints and suspension bushings a good look. 100k is usually when the original ones start to give it up.

Otherwise , seems like a well maintained vehicle. Shouldn’t need to carry too much stuff.

Consider the most likely maintenance and repairs you may have to do, based on your milage, maintenance history. Do you have a garage or relegated to a parking lot? Rotate tires, oil change? That type of work would go to a shop, I think. New plugs, failed water pump, serp belt/pulley/tensioner replacement? Worn bearing hub replacement, replace shocks, front control arms - these would require a good jack and stands. Otherwise, metric and standard sockets and ratchets, extensions, breaker bar, screw drivers, pliers, crescent wrenches, scrapers, heat gun or propane torch. consumables you can pick up as needed. Consider putting the blue trimmed box in a cardboard box, or some other generic tool box. Definitely get the factory cargo cover.
I'm considering a tool bag with a couple of the lock-in socket organizers, pry bars, screwdrivers and maybe some swivel head ratcheting wrenches in a roll.

I should have mentioned the condition of my vehicle and my habits...

My 97 5.0 AWD just turned 100k miles last week in my drive home from Rhode Island to MO for Christmas. While I haven't started changing "major" parts yet, I've slowly been replacing piece by piece as I go. Coil packs, plug wires, plugs, brake parts, shackles, serpentine kit/new pulleys ... All of the hoses should have been first and will be next etc...

I'm mainly trying to narrow down which standard and metric sizes to bring and which to leave behind, so I can continue to tinker and replace "the little things" in the parking lot at the hotel.

I have a couple local friends nearby with lifts and all the tools I'd need for major repairs, so I shouldn't be needing to haul too many specialty tools. But if there's a "must have" oddball size for a specific part or sensor, I'm not against making the space.
I think I have the original cargo cover from my 1993 Explorer XLT which is long gone. I kept it thinking it may eventually come in handy, but it hasn't fit any of our cars including my two subsequent Explorers (2005, 2003, in that order.) I realize your 1997 is a different generation (2?) but if you think it is the same cargo cover, my wife would be happy if it left the building... let me know. (and, again, I have to find it.)

I think I have the original cargo cover from my 1993 Explorer XLT which is long gone. I kept it thinking it may eventually come in handy, but it hasn't fit any of our cars including my two subsequent Explorers (2005, 2003, in that order.) I realize your 1997 is a different generation (2?) but if you think it is the same cargo cover, my wife would be happy if it left the building... let me know. (and, again, I have to find it.)
What color is it? I keep hitting Pick-n-Pull yards looking for a grey one but keep finding only tan. I test fitted the cargo cover for an early Ford escape and it fit, just barely. The cloth was too short and ended up separating from the barrel about 2 weeks after install though🤦🏼‍♂️. Just too tight.

As long as it has the rectangular spring loaded ends that insert into trim, it should work

What color is it? I keep hitting Pick-n-Pull yards looking for a grey one but keep finding only tan. I test fitted the cargo cover for an early Ford escape and it fit, just barely. The cloth was too short and ended up separating from the barrel about 2 weeks after install though🤦🏼‍♂️. Just too tight.

As long as it has the rectangular spring loaded ends that insert into trim, it should work
Alas, it is the tan one, not gray.

I'll try to find it and can inspect/measure and send or post photos/etc. Maybe take some measurements on your end as well?

Edit to add: The "receivers" for the privacy guard on my 2005 and 2003 look the same, but they're either a bit closer together or farther apart (sorry, don't remember which) and the privacy guard from the 1993 Explorer didn't fit as a result. Point being, it may not be just a matter of the same receiver -- the width matters, too.

If you don't hear from me by end of week, check in again -- feel free to PM or post here. Things are a bit busy right now, and I don't mind the nudging, actually appreciate it.

Alas, it is the tan one, not gray.

I'll try to find it and can inspect/measure and send or post photos/etc. Maybe take some measurements on your end as well?

Edit to add: The "receivers" for the privacy guard on my 2005 and 2003 look the same, but they're either a bit closer together or farther apart (sorry, don't remember which) and the privacy guard from the 1993 Explorer didn't fit as a result. Point being, it may not be just a matter of the same receiver -- the width matters, too.

If you don't hear from me by end of week, check in again -- feel free to PM or post here. Things are a bit busy right now, and I don't mind the nudging, actually appreciate it.
If I can find the cloth/vinyl in the correct length, I may be able to re-use the spring/housing that I have from the escape... Hobby lobby may be in my future. Lol

If you're not carrying an impact wrench, might want to throw in a cheater pipe.

Back