trailer brake controller connector on '97 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

trailer brake controller connector on '97

BK_89iX

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 SOHC
I plan to install a Tekonsha brake controller in my '97 SOHC XLT with factory tow package.

Is there a socket under the dash to take advantage of the optional Tekonsha pigtail for Fords? I've seen conflicting vendor application information on this. Looking to streamline the install and keep things tidy/clean.

I checked with the towing section and was directed to the gen2 experts here.

BK

Nope. The ford plug is only found in the F-series trucks. Trailer brake controller in the older explorers is a complete wiring job, including running the ground and hot to the back of the truck. Not a terrible install, but recommend you get 10 or 12 guage wire and run up the left side under the dash then pull moulding panels and run to back of truck along the ceiling. When you get to the rear the power wire drops down with the rest of the bundle and out the back left tail light where your trailer tail light pigtail sits. The ground can be run to any clean hole you can conveniently drill in the frame near the back left side of the bumper. This is the safest way to run as it keeps all wires out of the elements inside the vehicle and out of sight. If you run on the floor the carpets are a pain to pull.

Excellent info - thanks. Will run virgin wires/fuses. My OE round trailer light pigtail hookup is actually under the right/passenger side rear tail light. No biggie.

Now to figure out how to open the driver side rear door since both the inside/outside levers have been fubar for 5+ years!

BK

Back