• Register Today It's free!

Trailer harness

FordTony

Reaction score
City, State
Port Jefferson New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4 Door
Ok heres a good one........this is for 1998 through 2001 explorers. If you remove the drivers side taillight there is a connector the isnt connected to anything. It comes off of the taillight harness. I was told that this is a quick connector for a 4 prong trailer harness. On the 1995 through 1997 models this plug end is towards the passenger side under the bumper, this is because the harness has to go under the bumper to get to the lights that illuminate the license plate.....this doesnt apply on the 1998 through 2001 because the plate is in the tailgate.
so here is the question..........is this a quick connect for a trailer light harness? If so where can you buy one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think so. My '99 had it, (which is saying something because mine doesn't seem to have a lot in the wiring dept.), so yours probably does. IIRC it's somewhere behind the driver taillight like you mentioned. It was several years ago when my dad installed the trailer plug harness, which we ordered from the Ford dealer, so I don't remember all the details. But there is a plug back there somewhere.

Thanks....... I took the light out today and saw the plug .... Im gonna try the Ford dealer to see if they still carry it

I know NAPA at one time sold them. I bought mine 6 years ago from them.

You should be able to buy one anywhere that sells hitch wiring. Check the plug on your X first to make sure you have power, if not then check for empty fuses and relays. I used to wire up alot of vehicles for towing. Ford usually has atleast the front part of the harness installed already even if it did not come with the tow package.

ok thanks guys i appreciate it

I got mine for my ride from Ford was like $50 or something.. just plugged in and works like a charm never had to do anything else to it.

I was at my local Ford dealership and the part has been discountinued. I bought a class III hitch from U-Haul. Nice, for about $120.00 made in USA and a "rounded look" not square tubing. Bolted up perfect...less than 1/2 hour. Looks great. I am going to Napa tomorrow for the "pig tail connection" and list all PN's and exact costs.

This information will be for a Gen 2 1999 sport 4.0 sohc 4x4 or similar that did not come with any sort of tow package...according to the built sheet.

Ford did not discontinue them... your dealer is wrong. I bought one just last year, so unless they discontinued them within the last 12 months, they're wrong.

Even if they have, I've seen them all over Ebay from other manufacturers. Just make sure you get them for the correct years. IIRC there were some wiring changes around that time and the pinout on that particular connector was a little different. All second-gens were nto exactly the same.

-Joe

Back