• Register Today It's free!

Trailer hitch 7 pin wiring!

Michael Lehner

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Eddie Bauer Explorer
I just upgraded from a 2002 Honda CRV to a 2006 Eddie Bauer Explorer. I pulled my toys out to Colorado to play and decided that the Honda had too small of a fuel capacity. The towing was not a problem but I’m expecting great things from this Explorer. It has the 4 flat connector and I want a 7 for brakes. I’m trying to figure out if I can buy a simple plug and play harness or if I have to use the ETBC7 manual installation kit (eTrailer). Anybody know how to identify whether my vehicle has a harness somewhere that I can plug to for 7 pin installation? Some of the references say to look behind the glovebox. Others say below the driver side taillight. Another one said in the middle of the car underneath somewhere. So far I have not found it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe the connections you are looking for only came with those vehicles equipped with factory tow packages. So I'd check to see if that was an included option first.
If it is installed on your ex, keep looking.they tend to hide after years of being ignored. If it wasn't an option on your ex, take it to a good shop and have it installed. Its just easier.
Last... Congrats on your upgrade to an explorer!

I believe the connections you are looking for only came with those vehicles equipped with factory tow packages. So I'd check to see if that was an included option first.
If it is installed on your ex, keep looking.they tend to hide after years of being ignored. If it wasn't an option on your ex, take it to a good shop and have it installed. Its just easier.
Last... Congrats on your upgrade to an explorer!
It has a factory class II hitch and a transmission cooler. I have not been able to get a build sheet on it. I am hoping that someone can tell me what type of connector or better yet right where to look. I know I can run additional wires to the front to pick up what I need for brakes but I gotta believe there is a more elegant solution that is already there.

The dealership I purchased our camper from installed the 7-pin hitch for us. The explorer has the tow package but they didn't even check to see. They just installed it from scratch with all new wiring. But it works well so I'm good with it.

If you have class II, 1.25 inch receiver than you do not have tow package. You'd need to add the brake wire and the brake controller, charging wire and back up wire.

If you have class II, 1.25 inch receiver than you do not have tow package. You'd need to add the brake wire and the brake controller, charging wire and back up wire.
That’s what I needed. Thanks, Explorer_PL.

Back