Trailer Hitch add-on for ford escape? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trailer Hitch add-on for ford escape?

mattadams

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Longmont, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
Has anyone out there installed a trailer hitch that didn't come factory on their escape? I am interested in possibly adding one for my 2010 since it didn't come with one. LIkely woudl never use it for towing but more for bike racks and such, so probably wouldn't even mess with getting electrical hooked up for it, just wondering if anyone has done it, what they went with, etc.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow - a ghost from a past life? Long time no talk to!

As for your hitch, on both of my Rangers I have an Eckharts weld-on hitch. An excellent hitch - definitely one of the best out there. Unfortunately, they are in Cali, and only sell them installed. (You could call and ask about shipping one to you.)

Yeah, I never really left, just my time has been sparse lately, but I'm giving up a few other responsibilities and life and looking forward to spend more time here, even though I no longer have an explorer in my name, for the first time in many many years :).

You can always another Explorer...

BTW, how do you fit in the Escape? :p:

I fit incredibly well... :)

FWIW my 2 cents would be to get the class 3 hitch 2' hitch instead of the 1 1/4" Class 1. The hitch will offer a good deal of rear end protection also, especially with one of the "nerf tube" slide-in steps.

not too bring back a thread from teh not-too-distant future, but I finally followed through and got the trailer hitch installed!
I ended up ordering one from ebay, a "Curt" brand Class III 2" hitch for about $150. Appears to be pretty good quality, though admittadly my mian interest isn't for towing its just for mounting the bike rack and some other things, so I'm sure this will be more than good enough.

The install was a little on the "interesting" side, though if I had a buddy to help or a transmission jack or something it probably would've gone a lot easier... most of the work was spent getting the first two bolts in, after that it wasn't too hard. It didn't require any drilling (though the instructions said 05-07 would require drilling to get the bolts through, because they don't have the frame access hole at the rear of the vehicle the newer ones do... mine had it, so it wasn't too hard. It used stock holes in the frame to mount to, and carriage bolts with brackets that you "fish through" the frame so you don't have to get a wrench up on the frame, which would be about impossible anyway. Their method of fishing the bolts is actually pretty neat, I'm sure others have seen it but it was a first for me... a long "fish wire" which at the end was coiled so you could thread the end of the bolt into the wire itself, and then pull it through with the correct end coming out first! :) This really saved a lot of time and frustration.
Total time for the install was about 2 hours, though like I said if I'd had a friend to help lift/jack it into place, probably could've had it done in 45-60 minutes, most of that time was spent trying to maneuver it into place.
All in all, not too bad of an install, decent price, and looking forward to using it! :)

Hitch add-on

Did you take any pics, if so could you post? Pete:D

I didn't, but I can snap a few sometime in the next few days and get them posted!

Hey all,

I just bought an 81 cb650c and wanted to know if I could transport it on my stock hitch motorcycle carrier instead of pulling a trailer. I believe it is equipped with a stage two hitch (350/3500). the bikes wet weight is however approx. 485. I also though about stripping the wet weight (gas & oil) and maybe even taking some parts off. I would ideally like to spend as little as possible any suggestions?

thanks!
scott

Back