musicman21

Reaction score
City, State
Milton, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
Hi Guys,

Question for you.
I was on the Ford site looking at the different tow packages.

My truck is a 2012 Limited, with what I thought was a tow package
I have the hitch, all the connectors, the fancy tow button next to the power tailgate button
which I assumed was good for 5000lbs... but I just saw the other day that my hitch is labeled as a class II
with only 3500lbs. This doesn't even seem to be an option on the 2012 model.. am I missing something?

NOTE: Please see post #9 for the resized photos that were initially posted here.

Attachments

• 5j6bZw5.jpg
    5j6bZw5.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 596

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First, your pictures are way too large. Have to scroll left and right to see them. Pictures posted here should be kept to a maximum of 800 X 600 pix.

Did you order the Class III hitch from the factory and if so what does your Window sticker show?

The part number shown does not appear on Fordparts.com. When I did an Internet search on 19D534-AB, it brought up some links to the F-150 forum posts.

BTW, the TOW button seems to be standard as my Limited had it and I didn't have the tow package.

Peter

It could be the "dealer installed" trailer hitch. The Class III encompasses engine and transmission changes like coolers and ratio changes. Stuff the dealer won't do.

Those weights listed on the sticker are dead weight ratings. You need a weight distribution hitch to tow up to the 5000lb max. What do you plan to pull and what does it weigh?

While I guess anything is possible, a class II hitch normally has a 1-1/4" receiver. This appears to be a 2" receiver in your pictures which would indicate a class III or larger.

First, your pictures are way too large. Have to scroll left and right to see them. Pictures posted here should be kept to a maximum of 800 X 600 pix.

Did you order the Class III hitch from the factory and if so what does your Window sticker show?

The part number shown does not appear on Fordparts.com. When I did an Internet search on 19D534-AB, it brought up some links to the F-150 forum posts.

BTW, the TOW button seems to be standard as my Limited had it and I didn't have the tow package.

Peter

Sorry. The pics are are large. I hosted them somewhere else and didn't think they would be that big.
So the consensus is this was a dealer installed hitch and not a factory installed one? I bought the truck used 2 weeks ago. I saw a hitch and assumed it had the tow package.
I don't have anything specific in mind right now but a boat later down the line would make me revisit this so wanted to get it out of the way now.
How do I know what the truck came from the factory with?

You can go to the following thread, run your VIN and check out your 'Window Sticker'. It would show if the hitch was ordered and factory installed.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308458

Just an after thought to my post. You said you saw the hitch, does that mean that there was no cover on it? The cover is designed to fit over the hitch and that is why there are tabs there.

Peter

While I guess anything is possible, a class II hitch normally has a 1-1/4" receiver. This appears to be a 2" receiver in your pictures which would indicate a class III or larger.

I went out and looked at mine that I know came with the factory tow package, and it for sure says Class III and the weights are 500 max tongue and 5000 max trailer, so it does look like a dealer installed.

Like Peter said, pull up a copy of the Window Sticker. It's the only way to be sure.

Test

Attachments

• 5j6bZw5.jpg
    5j6bZw5.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 666
  • QE6eZNj.jpg
    QE6eZNj.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 802
  • fpgrYMu.jpg
    fpgrYMu.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 672

I used look. My 2014 w/factory tow looks identical but the sticker says "Class III" with 5,000 lb Max Gross TRLR Weight and 500 lb Max Tongue Weight.

A couple months ago, I remember reading either on the mod forum for this site or on a different Ford site, that the Class II part was the same as the OEM Class III part (including same receiver size), but for dealer/after-market install, it is down-rated (and re-labeled) for a lower tow capacity than Class III due to how it is installed (including lack of OEM oil-cooler, etc).

You can go to the following thread, run your VIN and check out your 'Window Sticker'. It would show if the hitch was ordered and factory installed.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308458

Just an after thought to my post. You said you saw the hitch, does that mean that there was no cover on it? The cover is designed to fit over the hitch and that is why there are tabs there.

Peter

I tried to run my VIN on both links. the first link said "bad request" and the second link said invalid search.

Back