Trailer hitch lock? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trailer hitch lock?

Have a 2009 with the 2" hitch. Having a really hard time finding a lock to fit the receiver. The 7 pin connector is in the way. Can't go without the lock either, run a $300 b&w hitch. Anyone have any luck with a particular lock that fits?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why not just remove the hitch when you aren’t using it?

The B&W is a adjustable stowable hitch that folds away under the receiver. Very sleek and very heavy hitch. I really don't want to remove it every time I'm finished with it.

M146282079.jpg

Not low profile enough?

Have one identical to that one. Can't get it to fit with the lock cylinder on either side. Even the standard 5/8 hitch pin is cumbersome to get in. The clip will only go through the pin if the pin is rotated just perfect otherwise the clip bottoms out on something. Worst receiver hitch design I've ever seen on a ford.

just chiming here, not related to this topic- i love your garage lineup! especially the trucks, always loved the look of those! does your exception have a 6.4 badge off of a '10 or so f series? or did the 7.3 ones look like that too?

Its a custom emblem that says 7.3 powerstroke on it styled to look like the 2011+ trucks. Was planning on a 2011+ front clip swap but too many other people did it and the original is now rarer around here. Kinda of got a thing for rare or unpopular vehicles. From the factory the excursions didn't come with any emblems to signify gas vs diesel. Here is a better picture of it

Screenshot_20230109-195020_Photos.jpg

Yea, I agree that a lot of OEM receivers are getting difficult to work with. They're designing them more and more to "blend in" with the design of the truck so they aren't so obvious when not in use, so they are tucked in and harder to reach. Had a similar problem with my 07 Expedition. I do seem to recall that I used a pin that had a groove in it rather than a hole. So you could put the pin in any direction. That helps with the problem you mentioned, but not the original lock problem.
You could try just using a grade 8 bolt, put it through the hole, put on a lock washer and tighten the nut down good. Maybe even drill a hole through end of the bolt that a small padlock would fit through. Make getting it off hard enough and the thrives may just pass you by for Ancaster target.

Back