• Register Today It's free!

trailer hitch question...

AWDRIVEN1999

Reaction score
City, State
ROLLA, MO.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 EXPLORER 5.O LIMITED
So, I've been looking for a trailer hitch for my 1999 explorer, hoping to find one locally, but no one has one for an explorer. My question is, are the hitches from rangers the same, or would they work? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No idea about Rangers.
I have the Hidden Hitch Class 3/4, PN 70647 on my '98, which should also fit the '99. Looking at their website, it is still available. Notice that if you have anything larger than the original 235/75/R15 tires, the spare won't fit.

So, I've been looking for a trailer hitch for my 1999 explorer, hoping to find one locally, but no one has one for an explorer. My question is, are the hitches from rangers the same, or would they work? Thanks

No idea about Rangers.
I have the Hidden Hitch Class 3/4, PN 70647 on my '98, which should also fit the '99. Looking at their website, it is still available. Notice that if you have anything larger than the original 235/75/R15 tires, the spare won't fit.

My 255/70/16 spare fits ok on my 96 with a hitch. It's tight but if you bring it up on an angle you can get it in there.

OP there are plenty of hitches around for the Explorers in our year range, I just bought one less then a year ago. Check out etrailer or amazon.

The warning about 16" wheels not fitting is on the Hidden Hitch website. Considering how tight it is with my 15" spare, I would imagine they are right. Do you have the same model, or a different hitch?

My 255/70/16 spare fits ok on my 96 with a hitch. It's tight but if you bring it up on an angle you can get it in there.

The warning about 16" wheels not fitting is on the Hidden Hitch website. Considering how tight it is with my 15" spare, I would imagine they are right. Do you have the same model, or a different hitch?

I think mine is draw-tite, maybe that's the difference.

Mine is a Hidden Hitch that I purchased years ago from a U-Haul location. What irony! They'll sell you a tow hitch for your Explorer, but not rent you a trailer because you own an Explorer! Buttheads!

You could get a Curt round tube one from AutoAnything for $105.59 delivered. Curts are currently 20% off, and use coupon code CAEA3 for another 20% off :thumbsup:

I know you said you wanted to buy locally (don't really understand why) but I recommend etrailer.com. Everything towing related, great prices, fast delivery. I have a Draw-Tite on my '01 EB (16" wheels/spare) and a Curt on my '54 pickup. I bought the Curt off etrailer. All the rest of my trucks get by with just bumper mounts.

I just put a reese hitch on my 98. I got it from Amazon for 14.00. My spare tire fits up underneath too. It was 14 bucks because it was 94.00 and if i applied for the amazon credit card they gave me an 80.00 gift card to use immediately. I didnt even use the credit card to pay for it. I just plan on canceling the card and never using it. I could not pass up a brand new hitch for 14 bucks.

Best of my knowledge, NO, a Ranger hitch won't fit an Explorer -- the frame rail spacing is different.

Same spring spacing on the Rangers and Explorers, yet on the Rangers, the springs are outboard of the frame rails, on the Explorers, the springs are under the frame rails

The reason I was looking locally is that I was looking at junk yards.. they want $25 for any hitch around here.. I guess I'll have to buy new.. thanks guy..

I stumbled across a brand new Explorer hitch at a farm store 3 years ago marked down to $30. Original labels indicate it fits all '91-01 4 door Explorers. If you happen to be coming to Des Moines anytime soon, we could deal on it.

Mine is a Hidden Hitch that I purchased years ago from a U-Haul location. What irony! They'll sell you a tow hitch for your Explorer, but not rent you a trailer because you own an Explorer! Buttheads!

And they'll rent to a Mountaineer.

The reason I was looking locally is that I was looking at junk yards.. they want $25 for any hitch around here.. I guess I'll have to buy new.. thanks guy..

Not a bad idea looking in the junkyard for one. The pick-a-part yards I go to charges $30 for a hitch. I usually glance at the spare tires, so I do notice if they have a hitch or not. Most I run across have some amount of rust, surface or whatnot, and that's in drier southern WY and northern CO.

My first hitch actually came from eBay. It was cheap shipped, and most of the original finish was there. I sold that to techieman33 on here after I ran across a brand new one in a flea market for dirt cheap. No hardware with that one, so I hit a local dealer that sold that brand, and asked them about new hardware. They brought out a box of misc hardware, and pieced together all that I needed, for free. I offered to pay, they said it's leftover stuff that just sits in our backroom. I left them some funds for some cold beer though.

Back