trailer hitch wiring? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

trailer hitch wiring?

I have a 2000 sport and i just put on a hidden hitch. It looks great. Now i need to get the wiring done. Would my truck have a plug maybe behind the rear lights that i just need to buy the plug to plug into that or do i need to get a whole wiring kit from the dealer or ebay. Before i start to pull out the rear lights thought i ask first. I plan on towing a small 4X6 trailer to make runs to the dump and things like that nothing major.

If anyone has the part number that i might need i would appreciate that to.

thanks

If you have the trailer tow package, then it should have a gray, round, plug, under the bumper, and a pigtail that plugs into it to give you the 4-pin connector for your trailer. If you don't have the tow package, then I think you can buy a wiring harness that "T's" the plug behind the rear lamp and brings the pigtail down to the hitch. I'm not 100% sure how it is set up on the 2000, but that's how my '97 is (I have the tow package, so it was all there already).

If you have the trailer tow package, then it should have a gray, round, plug, under the bumper, and a pigtail that plugs into it to give you the 4-pin connector for your trailer. If you don't have the tow package, then I think you can buy a wiring harness that "T's" the plug behind the rear lamp and brings the pigtail down to the hitch. I'm not 100% sure how it is set up on the 2000, but that's how my '97 is (I have the tow package, so it was all there already).

I dont have the tow package. Can someone tell me what the part number is for the correct woring. even if it is from the dealer or not.

thanks

Back