• Register Today It's free!

trailer hitch

Lil Joe

Reaction score
City, State
southwest Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer
I am looking for class 3 hitch for 2000 Explorer all wheel drive 5.0 motor. I want one that leaves room for a full size spare. anyone with experience I would like make and part number, but any info would be great. Thank You Lil Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very nice choices there, and free shipping for what I saw. I don't need another one myself, but if I was after a stronger one, I like that top version with the extra mounting arms. If it was barely visible like the Hidden Hitch I have, I'd like that better, it's stronger. For $127 it's a good deal.

Koda 2000 you are the man. I looked at Draw Tites website, found what I need. Thank you very much, Lil Joe

I've used etrailer.com before. They have about the best prices I've found and shipping is usually free on orders over $100.

OP - If you get the Ford trailer wiring 4-flat pigtail installation is plug and play.

Tip: remove the driver's side tail light to get at the factory connector more easily. It should have a red vinyl cover over it. You just remove the cover plug and plug in the pigtail.

KODA 2000, I ordered from etrailer.com. Thanks again! Lil Joe

Seems like my local junk yard was selling them for something like $50... might need painted, or might not if you just want it to look like it otherwise would, after it had it been on the vehicle a long time.

Seems like my local junk yard was selling them for something like $50... might need painted, or might not if you just want it to look like it otherwise would, after it had it been on the vehicle a long time.

That's a bit too much when a new one is a little more than $100. I had my old one powder coated for about $45, and didn't know it would cost that before I spent an hour grinding on it(deburring edges etc). The new ones are a great deal at those prices.

^ Sure but considering the age of the vehicle, $50 plus a $4 1/2 pint of rustoleum paint beats $135+ delivered... or an $8 quart of paint and have some left over for other jobs. If you get the rust off first then their enamel does pretty good w/o any primer.

I may be biased though, will often opt to reuse something that would go to waste rather than buy new, so long as there's still good lifespan left in it... I have a toaster that's over 50 years old.

That's all true, I was just thinking I'd find a different JY that costs even less. I was planning to find another one until my last truck had one on it.

The yards I go to have hitches for $30.. Most are pretty rusty crusty, but a few are in great shape.

My first hitch actually came from eBay. It was cheap shipped, and most of the original finish was there. I sold that to techieman33 on here after I ran across a brand new one in a flea market for dirt cheap. No hardware with that one, so I hit a local dealer that sold that brand, and asked them about new hardware. They brought out a box of misc hardware, and pieced together all that I needed, for free. I offered to pay, they said it's leftover stuff that just sits in our backroom. I left them some funds for some cold beer though.

I consider my time worth something. If you buy a used hitch from a junk yard you're going to have to spend time and money finding/buying hardware to attach it. Some of the hardware is special to allow for fishing nuts through the frame and allowing the nuts to not turn as the bolts are torqued down. You're unlikely to find this special hardware at your local Ace Hardware. I also like parts I install on my vehicles to look clean and not rusty. Yes you can take the time and effort to clean, prep and paint used parts, but for the price I'd rather buy a new piece that comes e-coated, powder coated and has the instructions and hardware to install it.

BTW, I agree $50 for a used hitch seems high to me too. I occasionally see them on CL for around $20. I'd still rather spend the money on new.

But it's fine if you feel differently. Do whatever makes you happy.

I got my hitch from etrailer today. The box had everything as advertised. Thanks to everyone for the help. Koda @000 got me on track. Great site, great people. Lil Joe

I bought a new one at a farm store for $30 on clearance 4 yrs ago. I had/have no need for it, but a new hitch for $30 for a vehicle I might again own seemed like a no-brainer. Fits all 1st and 2nd Gen Explorers. If I end up keeping my son's Mountaineer I might put it on there. The Mounty has a clunky square hitch, but the ball mount needs flipped for my enclosed trailer, and it's held in place by a locking pin that we don't have a key for. Even if we had a key, the lock is probably rusted. They rust pretty quickly if you don't unlock them regularly.

Back