• Register Today It's free!

Trailer Light Hookup

pjm1954

Reaction score
City, State
Meredith NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt 4 door
I have a 96 xlt and My trailer lights for the ranger boat and snowmobile trailer will not work. If I hook up another truck to the trailers the lights will work, so I know its in the truck. I bought one of those plugs that plug in between the left rear light and the right rear light . The lights on the truck will work blinkers and all but not the trailer lights. I do not understand it???????HELP
Thanks in advance:confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a power or ground problem. I'd check and make sure you have both of those.

I have a 97 and I think that the two years are similar w/r/t the trailer wiring. On mine, there is a connector just in front of rear bumper, just to the passenger side. If you have this, this is the point to make your connection. Ford sells a short jumper harness to convert this to a standard 4 wire trailer conn. Dead Link Removed

If you are hooked up to this connector and still have no lights, it is possible that you have a blown fuse. The trailer lights are isolated from the other lights by 3 separate relays. There is a 20A fuse which supplies the power thru the relays. The fuse is located in the Power Distribution Box under hood near LH fender. The fuse location is either #7 or #8 (the schematics arent consistent) but it is definately a 20A maxi fuse. The Left Turn / stop relay and Right Turn / Stop relay are both located in Aux Relay Box #1 which is under hood next to LH fender. The Park Lamp relay is located in Aux Relay Box #4 which is behind trim panel at LH rear wheelwell.

Did the trailer harness kit have a seperate ground wire to hook somewhere else on your truck? Those type only have three wires that connect to the plug at the ehnd of the wire. You definitley need a ground wire running to the trailer......

Originally posted by dogfriend
I have a 97 and I think that the two years are similar w/r/t the trailer wiring. On mine, there is a connector just in front of rear bumper, just to the passenger side. If you have this, this is the point to make your connection. Ford sells a short jumper harness to convert this to a standard 4 wire trailer conn. Dead Link Removed

Dogfriend...do you know if there is anything special about the Ford converter...I was just going to buy a converter from the trailer supply place. If the Ford version is simply a jumper that converts from the round 8-pin plug to the standard 4-pin flat plug, then I'll be able to get this wrapped up today.

Thanks!

Yep, the Ford harness converts from the round connector in the wiring harness to a standard 4 pin flat connector. Its just a jumper harness, there arent any converters or other components.

Bingo, Dogfriend...OK I'll be trekking up to the store to make yet another exchange in a couple of hours. I hope this is the last one as I am sure the store clerks are getting tired of me constantly buying then returning wiring harnesses.

Thanks for the help.

Back