trailer lights don't work

bmacd

Reaction score
City, State
Farmington, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 5.0
Hi :)

I've used a trailer flawlessly on my '96 5.0 before with no trouble. Just the other day, I hooked up a trailer to move my gf's stuff out of her house into her new apt. While doing a safety check, there was no power going to the harness/trailer. I believe I have the factory towing package installed on my X, but no hitch (using the ball mount). I use a Hoppy brand flat-4 adapter that plugs in underneath the truck (below the right brake light) into a trailer harness of some sort. I don't have my service manual handy and started checking fuses in my truck, and there were a handful that have no power going to them. Where should I start troubleshooting this?

-=bmacd=-

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you turn on the signals, do you hear a clicking noise by the jack in the rear compartment?

negative

-=bmacd=-

The 2nd gen explorers have fuses in the fuse box that are dedicated for the towing harness...check your manual for the location to see if they're blown. These fuses are independent of the vehicle's lighting system.

Have you tried cleaning up the connector under the bumper? It needs a good contact to turn on the relays in the back compartment.

i don't suppose anybody knows which fuse it is I should be checking? I don't have my service manual or owners manual handy, and Meijer no longer carries the service manuals.

TIA

-=bmacd=-

The stop, turn signal, and running lights for the trailer are all fed through the 20 A fuse, circuit #8 in the Power Distribution Box.

There are two relays in the auxiliary relay box, #1 for the turn/brake lamps, #4 for the parking lamps, but again, the power for both of them is fed through that single 20A fuse mentioned above. If one or the other was out, I'd say it might be a bad relay. If they're all dead, I'd look at the fuse first. :)

Hope it works!

-Joe

Back