• Register Today It's free!

Trailer problem

cthorsell

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer xls
ok... I am having a problem. I need to rent a trailer but apparently, U-haul doesn't rent to explorers.
I need it to pull my motorcycle. I live in central florida.

Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1.) Tell them it is a Mercury Mountaineer. The policy only applies to Explorers, so that should be enough to fool them. They ain't too bright.....

2.) Pick it up with another vehicle, or have a friend pick it up, then switch it over to your Explorer. When you bring it back, either do the same in reverse, or....... Bring it back with the Explorer, then loudly proclaim to the idiots at U-haul that the somehow your truck, and their trailer didn't magically burst into flames when connected together. Inform them that you had a witch doctor lift the Explorer "curse", and they can now safely rent to Explorer owners. Don;t forget the obligatory sarcastic "Your Welcome" on the way out.

3.) You could try to reason with the manager, and explain that the "ban" was enacted over the roll-over issues related to the FIRST generation of Explorers, which haven't been made since 1994. Further explain that, other then the little plastic name badge glued onto the tailgate, your 2003 vehicle has virtually nothing in common with the offending model. It is a completely different design, front to back, from top to bottom.
4.) Further, if you wish to risk giving away the loophole, you could explain that they aren't prohibited from renting to Mountaineer owners, and they are exactly the same vehicle as your, with a different name glued on it. This tactic would give the manager the info he/she needs to conspire with you to "stick it" to the company, assuming they aren't very fond of their employer. Of course, it's u-haul, so it's a pretty safe bet that even the employees hate them. On the other hand you could end up with a stick-in-the-mud, company man, do-gooder.... In which case, I would just through a loud screaming, yelling, berating hissy fit, and at least make sure he goes home that night knowing what a tool he/she is.

...and caveat- you will be liable for whatever damage occurs to anyone's vehicle if something mysteriously goes wrong. Recent case around here where a buddy's brother in law did the bait 'n switch, and long story short he hit a guardrail on 96, and lost control hitting 2 vehicles behind/aside him. His insurance company denied the no-fault claim due to "misrepresentation of the vehicle being used to pull rented trailer." as did Uhaul who ultimately sued him for the price of the trailer, and the guy is still in court apparently under a good sized civil lawsuit for damages and injuries that one of the other 2 vehicle owners brought on after knowing about the Explorer/Uhaul settlement. I don't know how that no-fault law was circumvented, but it had something to do with the UHaul situation.

Not saying that I wouldn't do it, just beware of what can happen if something out of your control happens, as you will probably not have a leg to stand on...

I can see u-haul denying the claim, but I don't get how his own personal insurance can get out of it. Unless they also have a "no Explorers" clause in the policy, I would think they would have to prove reckless or intentionally negligent behavior, in order to avoid the claim. It's not like they can prove that Explorers are not tow rated, or otherwise generally not considered safe to tow with. It's just one idiotic company's idiotic policy.

I think their claim was just that- they were saying that his trying to pull a fast one on UHaul was "negligent behavior" since it allowed him to pull a trailer that was supposedly "unsafe." <shrug>

I'll see if I can get some more info, since he may have gotten through the process...

Sorry, no petition is going to reverse a policy instituted by an insurance company towards their policy holder... U-Haul's losses for whatever reason will mean that no insurance company is going to underwrite a policy as long as they rent to anyone with an Explorer knowingly... :(

Back