• Register Today It's free!

Trailer Sway Control - No Hitch

DelcoGary

Reaction score
City, State
Delaware County PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Explorer XLT 4wd 2.3L
My Explorer has the Trailer Sway control in the "Driver Aids" menu but I do not have the trailer package (or even a hitch receiver). Is there a situation where the Trailer Sway control is of any benefit without a trailer? (crosswinds? Cartop carrier? Snowy roads?)

I'm trying to think a condition where it maybe of some benefit or if I should "uncheck" the box in the display (or if it matters at all :D).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All Explorers seem to have that "feature" It's implemented in the ABS system software.

I'd just leave it alone.

There are several threads on this feature. They were mostly posted in 2011 when the 5th gen Explorer came out. One member said that he noticed his steering was better with the feature OFF. I recall testing my 2011 Limited with it turned OFF and ON (default) and noticed absolutely no difference in handling. Since the default is ON, I'd leave it alone. BTW, my Explorer also did not have the Tow Package.

Peter

All Explorers seem to have that "feature" It's implemented in the ABS system software.

I'd just leave it alone.
What is the impact on the fuel consumption/efficiency?? It may be sucking more gas during run!!!!

What is the impact on the fuel consumption/efficiency?? It may be sucking more gas during run!!!!
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Unless you are towing, I doubt there would be any impact on fuel economy. Remember, when these vehicles are designed, it is all about fuel economy and with the default being ON, the feature shouldn't be affecting fuel economy without towing anything.

Peter

I don't have the tow package either on my '15 XLT, but do have this trailer sway control feature which defaults on. From what I notice it will downshift your transmission two gears while braking down hill and then upshift two gears when resuming acceleration. On my commute to work I haven't noticed any difference in gas mileage on or off. Would be nice to be able to default it off only for less wear and tear on the trans

I don't have the tow package either on my '15 XLT, but do have this trailer sway control feature which defaults on. From what I notice it will downshift your transmission two gears while braking down hill and then upshift two gears when resuming acceleration. On my commute to work I haven't noticed any difference in gas mileage on or off. Would be nice to be able to default it off only for less wear and tear on the trans
Have you tried turning it OFF to see if it does that same shifting on the same route?

Peter

The trailer sway control software does nothing as far as transmission shift control during normal driving. Now, pressing the "TOW" button (if equipped" certainly will....

The trailer sway control software does nothing as far as transmission shift control during normal driving. Now, pressing the "TOW" button (if equipped" certainly will....
Good point. Forgot about that part of the feature. The following is from the Manual.
This feature applies your vehicle brakes at individual wheels and, if
necessary, reduces engine power. If the trailer begins to sway, the
stability control light flashes.

Peter

I was away on vacation, but now that I'm back I tested it a couple more time. No difference.

Good point. Forgot about that part of the feature. The following is from the Manual.
This feature applies your vehicle brakes at individual wheels and, if
necessary, reduces engine power. If the trailer begins to sway, the
stability control light flashes.

Peter
That makes sense

Back