Trailer Towing Size Advice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trailer Towing Size Advice

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Eddie Bauer
I have a '99 Eddie Bauer with the V6 SOHC. It has a towing package and I'm wondering what size of enclosed cargo trailer I can tow. I'm thinking a 6x10 but am wondering what others have towed...maybe 6x12? I would use electric brakes most likely for anything heavier than 3000 pounds. Anyone with experience with this engine?
Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What axle ratio does your explorer have?
I've pulled around 6x12 enclosed trailers (lightly loaded) with 4.10 gears and 33" tires with no problems. Same engine.
Now I have 4.88 gears so the comparison isn't fair. In either case, you would likely be fine with a 6x12, but I wouldn't go wider due to wind resistance. I would for sure install a larger tranny cooler and a tranny temp gauge to monitor the temperature. The truck (engine) itself should pull just fine.

What axle ratio does your explorer have?
I've pulled around 6x12 enclosed trailers (lightly loaded) with 4.10 gears and 33" tires with no problems. Same engine.
Now I have 4.88 gears so the comparison isn't fair. In either case, you would likely be fine with a 6x12, but I wouldn't go wider due to wind resistance. I would for sure install a larger tranny cooler and a tranny temp gauge to monitor the temperature. The truck (engine) itself should pull just fine.

The Eddie Bauer 4x4 came standard with 4.10s. That should make his rating 5600 lbs as mentioned.

-Joe

The weights are easy to find on a chart/owner's manual and are generally good guides. Also consider the height of the trailer, at high speed the wind resistance may be so much that the weight won't be the limiting factor. As for a tranny cooler, it's not always needed nor advisable. Most tranny heat is generated in the torque converter and your truck has a locking converter; once it's locked, no more heat. If this trailer is a toy hauler that'll be pulled off road--low speed hilly terrain then you may have heat issues. In that case you may even need a cooler with a fan. Adding a cooler without need may keep the fluid too cold-also not good. In any case, step one is a tranny temp gauge! Even if you don't think you'll need it, get it and pay attention to it! You may find you never need a cooler. I regularly tow much above my Ex's rating and have never seen above 170deg. and on the highway keeps 150ish, but I'm very careful about it. If you find that you're getting into the 200deg. area at any time STOP, but don't turn off the engine! Run it in neutral/park at about 2000 rpm 'till it cools then continue. If you get hot in your normal use of the trailer get a cooler and consider one with a fan if the heat happens when driving really slow speeds as the stock fan may not pull enough air under certain conditions to make full use of the cooler. Also install the cooler in the line before the stock radiator cooler to help minimize over-cooling the fluid.

Thanks for the responses...
I do have the 4.10 gears...should have included that in the first post. I know what my weight limit is and was mostly looking for feedback on other's experience with trailer size. I have no idea what a 6x10 or 6x12 will weigh when loaded. I know they are about 12 to 1500 lbs empty. Mine will have basic household moving stuff...beds/books/etc. I should have posted this in the towing section but can't figure out how to move it!

Last weekend I pulled a 16ft car trailer with my 87 Mercury Cougar with my 97 4.0sohc (has 3.55 gears and auto tranny) to the track and back. I did not have any issues. Don't get me wrong, when I came to a hill I knew the trailer was behind me. I do not have a tranny temp gauge but I do have a big tranny cooler along with the factory tranny cooler.

You should be fine. If you know someone that has the weight distribution bars and hitch, you may want to borrow them. Mine was squatted to the point of the driver rear upper wheel lip to be even with the top of the tire. I have the stock shackles without an add a leaf.

Back