• Register Today It's free!

trailer towing with an EX Sport

Blueraven

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XL 2D
Well I did a search for "Towing" and there's more hits on EXs needing to be towed that the EX actually doing the towing.

I've got a '99 EX Sport and I would like to tow a 16' 2000 .lbs travel trailer about 400 miles round trip. The trailer is a rental and I don't anticipate towing another travel trailer until this time next year.

The EX has got a newly rebuilt transmission in and seems to have enough power to do the job.

What do you guys think?

Blueraven

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2000lb is well within towing limits. You shouldn't have any problems. Just keep in mind that 2000lb is dry. So by the time you add water, food, ect. it will be more. I can tell you that I have towed my 2500lb boat/trailer down the highway at 75-80mph and it did just fine.

i think it would depend a lot on what gear ratio you have in the axles, and if it's a auto or manual.
just my .02c :)

Tow rating on your Explorer should be 5K lbs... You'll be fine... However if your Explorer has 4.10 axles you'll be a lot happier than if they're 3.55's...

Yea no worries. Just take it easy on the hills and braking. It'll probably be sagging pretty bad in the back due to the mono leaf, but other than that just enjoy the trip.

thanks all, I didn't think it would be a problem but it's nice to have some advice.

By the way the axle is D2=4:10 gears.

Blueraven

Back