Trailer Wiring Harness? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trailer Wiring Harness?

I don't know. I don't yet have a trailer with which to test my setup. I figured two small tail lights would fit within the capabilities of the current wiring. Maybe the necessary wires aren't even there!

I have measured the voltages on my connector from the Hopkins 40325 wiring kit. The pins are Ground, Tail Lights, Left Stop/Turn, and Right Stop/Turn. That's what my multimeter tells me they are without actual light bulbs loading them.

I think this setup is working normally and that it will support a trailer when I attach one.

If you look at the first portion on the factory gray connector you can see it has four female connectors. The second connector only has the two prongs you mentioned because thats all you need to power the license plate lights. Get the connector like the one I gave you in the link and connect them together and you should be fine. I have the same year as yours and it was plug and play. Also, I had that same set-up like the one in the pic Hopkins sent you and found out that I really didn't need to spend all that money for it.
Mine also has only two connectors, for the licence plate lights, in that plug under the driver's light.
Every other explorer I've seen has trailer lights there, but mine(and a very few others I'm guessing) has fewer wires from the cubby to the taillight.
So, there are some out there that this thread doesn't apply to.

Back