• Register Today It's free!

Trailer Wiring

tbroecker01

Reaction score
City, State
West Bend, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Base
I've done some research and reading of the owner's manual on my 2012 Base 3.5L V6 FWD. I have found that it has all of the relays and fuses required to tow a trailer already in the fuse box, both under the hood and in the vehicle. I have also found the factory connector behind the right (passenger) rear wheel well that can hookup to an aftermarket trailer connector such as the Curt C56172 Custom Fit Harness (or similar) found on http://www.etrailer.com/t1-2012_Ford_Explorer.htm

The question I have is that since my vehicle apparently my vehicles has the necessary components already installed for TRAILER WIRING;
What is the factory harness part number(s) for the 4-pin harness?? and 7-pin style harness??

I have already read the numerous forums on tow capabilities with and without the factory tow package and aftermarket hitches, so I'm up-to-date on that information.

Why do you need the factory harness? Are you getting the factory hitch? If you've researched the etrailer hitch, I'd say just use their recommended harness and call it a day. One word of advice though, if you get the one with the need for grounding, it will make your life loads easier if you have an angle drill/driver. If you don't, I believe there is another on there that doesn't need grounding. Figuring out how to use my regular drill to ground that harness took longer than it did to install the curt hitch.

I just want the factory part number(s), i just like knowing what the factory would have installed. I don't plan on getting the factory hitch, but a probably a curt hitch and harness.
I'm just curious if anyone happens to have the factory numbers that's all.

Back