Trailmaster 4" Lift vs. Superlift 4" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trailmaster 4" Lift vs. Superlift 4"

seanthenerd

Reaction score
City, State
East Lansing, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer Sport
my question is this, I have a 97 4x4 sport, does the trailmaster lift (98-2001) work on a 97? If not what is different between the 97 and 98 suspensions? Also, does the front driveshaft need to be replaced? I know both offer new shafts but are they neccesary?

thanks for your advice

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The difference in the 97 and 98 suspensions is that in 95-97 the torsion bar brackets were welded to the frame. After 98 they started bolting them on. What that means is in order to get the Superlift or Trailmaster to work on your X, you'll have to have the brackets torched off so you can drill and bolt on the new ones. Although I think one of these lifts actually piggy backs the original mounts. Either way, that is the difference. Its no biggie for an Offroad shop to do.

Also, I would be concentrating more on the Superlift than the Trailmaster (unless you can get a greeeat deal on the Trailmaster). The reason being the way the front is lifted. The TM uses spindles extensions while the Superlift gives you actual longer spindles.

Also, you can search this forum for tons of info about each of these lifts. And Welcome to the Board! :D

Check it out:

Attachments

• suspension.jpg
    suspension.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 2,098

Hmmmm That first picture looks very familure.
I have a 97 with a Trailmaster Ranger lift on it, and yes you do have to modify the torsion bar brackets. It is my understanding that the Superlift kit does not need any modification at all to work on a 95-97 model. Also Supelift uses new steering knuclkes and not just a ball joint extender like the Trailmaster kit. It is much better to have the new extended steeing knuckles. I also don't like the steering slide on the Trailmaster kit.
I would recommend the Superlift kit over the Trailmaster kit.

(Photos courtesy of Ray Lobato and Stadx2) :D

I also dont like the secondary steering slide as I have on mine but I also heard that a few people has had problems with the Superlift kit's welds not holding together very well at all. Any Superlift owner that has problems with their kit is more than welcome to sell me their steering knuckles for a reasonable price. hehe

Thank you for all the help

=Sean

???

Can you give me more info on these bolted (98+) vs. permanently attached (95-97) torsion bar brackets? Any photos perhaps?

I looked at a 97 EB today and it appeared to me that the torsion bar brackets were bolted onto the front of the framework that the A-arms are attached to. Am I missing something?

In the case with the earlier years, what is involved with torching off the old brackets and bolting the new ones on? Once you do remove the old brackets, how can you just bolt the new ones on? Don't you lose the mounting location in the torching operation? Details?

Thanks.

OK, I now understand that I was looking at the sway bar...massive sway bar. I've looked at a 97, and a 98 where the rear of the torsion bar attaches to the frame, and I can't see any "bolted" brackets outside of the cover over the torsion twist mechanism. I can see that the mechanisms look different.

Anyone...anyone...shed some light?

Thanks.

The trailmaster lift probably isn't my first choice but I might have a deal on a used one . For the tune of sub $500 I have might have located one. Is that a good deal for dealing with a used trailmaster lift?

You're probably buying Gages, right? :D But yeah, I'd say anything below $750 is a deal on a 2nd gen lift.

Originally posted by Jet Ski Puller
OK, I now understand that I was looking at the sway bar...massive sway bar. I've looked at a 97, and a 98 where the rear of the torsion bar attaches to the frame, and I can't see any "bolted" brackets outside of the cover over the torsion twist mechanism. I can see that the mechanisms look different.

Anyone...anyone...shed some light?

Thanks.

Just saw this. The 98 and newer has isolator pads to stand the adjusters off. The 97s and earlier don't have this their is a "pocket in the frame". The superlift kit mounts right over this but I hear the trailmaster kit you have to torch off. However I don't know. Both kits will work, but superlif tis by far superior. Reasons being:

1) New knuckles, nut just spacers
2) Steering on SL stays same geometry as stock, TM uses some funky ****
3) Superlift bolts right up

But for $500 you can't go wrong with either of them.

Section...You got it ...I want to buy Gage's but I'm a poor college kid with limited funds. I hope we can make a deal and I can join the "Real Lift Club" heh...

Back