TrailMaster '98 - 00 Explorer lift | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TrailMaster '98 - 00 Explorer lift

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The lift took quite a while. The rear was very easy we had it done the first day. The front however was much more involved. I started the lift on Dec. 23, did not work on Christmas, Finished on the following Sat. at 1:30 AM.

I get no rubbing! I did however move my front bumper out 5/8", and I also trimmed that plastic piece on the back side of the front fender well.

285 - 75 R16 have an overall diameter of 32.9" and are about 11.5" wide.

33 X 12.50 have a diameter of 32.4" and are about 12.5" wide.

You Should be OK.

Would have to test fit the 33x12.5s on 16x8 wheels to really see if they are OK. How much would a shop charge to install the lift? Im adding it all up to get a idea. Man id have to wait for tax returns or somethin. Lets see.....

I'm echoing Sinjin here, any reason this wouldn't work on a '96?? It can't be that different!! Oh, and more pictures please or are you resting or something DJ?

Lookin' good!

Did you get your rebate check from our friend??

I don't know why the lift wont work on the earlier models.

I would call Ken or Kevin (techs at Trailmaster) and get the specifics.

1-888-717-5797
extension #399

I work from 12:00 noon to 9:00 PM Central time. I have to fight the urge to respond to these threads while I'm at work. I am at lunch now so I feel it is OK.

I Did get the 10% rebate, so I guess he kept his word. The guy has been pretty cool to me so far.

More pictures when I get home tonight!

You might notice that the front sits a little low...
The brackets that dropped the torsion bars down have a slot that seats the bar that torsion bar adjuster screw threads through. (are you still with me?) OK Well that slot is off location causing the adjuster screw to miss the dimple in the adjuster cam. Trailmaster is still trying to figure out what is wrong.

For the time being I took the adjuster screw all the way out, so the front end is sitting a little low.

The only other problem that I still have is that the front drive shaft has a rivet just outside the transfer case that was hitting the rear O.E. cross member. I am going to have it turned down and rebalanced. Hopefully this will solve any vibrations that I had.

Your truck looks excellent...Now if they only had something for 95-97, I would be happy.

Looks great, but sounds like a headache. It looks really good though, was it worth it?

Ok dude you need todo a before and after :)
Your like the first with the trailmaster here.

Yes It was worth it!

I just posted the before and after. Check it out!

F'n Bob--

The lift was not spring over axle. The kit came with brand new high arch leaf springs. Everything stays the same in the rear except the new leafs and new shocks.

Hope this helps.

Doug

Thanks for the reply Doug. Your truck looks great! I'll be calling trailmaster to see about the differences in the '96 model year. Did you re-gear also or is that in the plans too?

I Have Stock 4.10 gears. They turn the 33's with no problem.

differences...

The only difference between the 95-97 and 98+ is in the rear
torsion bar mounts. In 95-97 the mounts are welded to the frame and in 98+, Ford woke up and actually made them a bolt on design to keep it similar to the Ranger. That is the only difference I am aware of. I am sure Ray L. can explain more if he sees this.

Now, because of the mounts being welded it makes it more difficult to lift. Not impossible just more difficult. May involve cutting the mounts off the frame or something. I don't know for sure. From Ray L. lift he was able to achieve the lift without moving the stock torsion bar mounts and used the 98+ Ranger Trailmaster lift. I am sure there is someone out there that can explain it in betail.

Originally posted by Djohnson
F'n Bob--

The lift was not spring over axle. The kit came with brand new high arch leaf springs. Everything stays the same in the rear except the new leafs and new shocks.

Hope this helps.

Doug

How are those rear leaf springs working? I'm planning to buy the 4" inch rear leaf spring from trailmaster. Which year do u think would fit my 97 explorer sport, the 90-94 or 98?

-Ray

Oh yah one more thing? Did the springs come with bushings?

-Ray

Springs / Driveshaft Update

The springs have been working great! The springs also solve the rear driveshaft slip yoke "thunk" problem with the stiffer ride. It is a better all around ride in my opinion. The springs did not come with new shackles, but they did come with bushings and the new center bolt.

*****Trailmaster Drive Shaft Update*****

I have been bugging trailmaster about getting a picture of the shaft they are selling. I have had to e-mail the president a couple times. The could not seem to get their digital camera to work so they are doing it the (really old fashioned way) 35mm film sent by mail. I will be sure to post them as soon as I get them.

I think that the 98s springs would be a closer fit, although I don't know what has changed.

DJ

SHAFT!

Still interested in the shaft info! Superlift said the stock shaft would last maybe 25k miles. ( i told them i had a 99 ranger) And they recomended a dual cardan shaft just like trailmaster does. Very interesting! Dunno the price of the shaft yet but im sure a local shop would do it for much less $. If I lift it I dont want to grenade my shaft later on down the road nor do I want to get "shafted" by superlift or TMs prices for one. ;)

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Re: Springs / Driveshaft Update

Originally posted by Djohnson
The springs have been working great! The springs also solve the rear driveshaft slip yoke "thunk" problem with the stiffer ride. It is a better all around ride in my opinion. The springs did not come with new shackles, but they did come with bushings and the new center bolt.

*****Trailmaster Drive Shaft Update*****

I have been bugging trailmaster about getting a picture of the shaft they are selling. I have had to e-mail the president a couple times. The could not seem to get their digital camera to work so they are doing it the (really old fashioned way) 35mm film sent by mail. I will be sure to post them as soon as I get them.

I think that the 98s springs would be a closer fit, although I don't know what has changed.

DJ

So was it just a direct reaplcement of the springs? Also, the stock shackles I assume work fine with them then?

-Ray

Back