TrailMaster '98 - 00 Explorer lift | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TrailMaster '98 - 00 Explorer lift

Yes it was a direct replacement. The rear was by far the easiest part of installing the lift.
The shackles work fine with the replacement springs.

Sherwood--

Read through the earlier post on this same thread. I explained some of your questions. If you have additional questions or need some clarification, please let me know

DJ

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

suspension lift

Hey, I was just checking out your truck while it was still being worked on and have a few questions for ya if you dont mind. My questions are, how hard was it? How long does it take? And have you had any problems with the front driveshaft with vibrations that I have heard about with the suspension lift. I was just out on the dunes a couple weeks ago and worn some holes in the fender wells. I think its time for a lift!!! Just a few pieces of info about this lift from Trailmaster would be greatly apreciated. Thanks a lot. Eric

Originally posted by Djohnson
Yes it was a direct replacement. The rear was by far the easiest part of installing the lift.
The shackles work fine with the replacement springs.

When you lifted the back, did u have to extend the roll bar in the back? If so, how many inches?

-Ray

I assume you are talking about the anti-sway bar. With this 4" lift, it is not necessary to lenghten the linkages because the anti-sway bar piviots on the axel. when you lift the rear the angle of the bar changes not the length of the linkage.

DJ, I found the other posts just today. Im rather new on this and still trying to find my way around here. Your ride looks just the way im looking to do myself. My buddies at work are ragging on me about me X because they are J**pers. Thats too bad. If it wasnt for the lack of lift, I would have smoked them up and down the dunes up here in Michigan. Anyways, sorry for asking quesions that have already been answered. Thanks, Eric

Did you have to extend your brake lines? If not, do u have a picture on relocating it?

BRAKE LINES

YOU DON'T HAVE TO EXTEND THE BRAKE LINES ON THE FRONT OR THE REAR. BUT YOU DO HAVE TO RELOCATE THE FRONT BRAKE LINE BRACKET. THIS BRACKET IS THE ONE THAT IS CONNECTED TO THE FRAME JUST AFTER THE CALIPER. I CAN'T SAY FOR SURE BUT I DON'T THINK THAT YOU HAVE EVEN DRILL A HOLE. I DON'T HAVE ANY PICTURES OF THS AREA OF THE LIFT.

I HOPE THIS HELPS!

SORRY IT TOOK SO LONG.

DJ

So is the 10% rebate still good. I see that 4 wheel has 10% off the trailmaster stuff on their website. Where did the $1356 come from. Their website has $1449. Let's see, 1356 - 20% = $1085 and I think I read someone got free shipping, too. This is getting awfull tempting.
Also, what about the Skyjacker 4" lift for a 97 Ranger. It's only like $436 w/shocks. Could this kit be that different from Trailmaster or Superlift? They may all have some modification for the X.

Originally posted by Tekeman
Also, what about the Skyjacker 4" lift for a 97 Ranger. It's only like $436 w/shocks. Could this kit be that different from Trailmaster or Superlift? They may all have some modification for the X.

You would want the 98+ Ranger Superlift kit and it should run ~$1300

Even though I'm driving a 97 truck?

I want to see!

Can you fix the link so i can see them please.

I did not work for me.

Originally posted by Tekeman
Even though I'm driving a 97 truck?

Yes, the 95+ Explorer front end is like the 98+ Ranger front end. The 91-94 Ex is like the __-97 Ranger.

Originally posted by Jefe

Yes, the 95+ Explorer front end is like the 98+ Ranger front end. The 91-94 Ex is like the __-97 Ranger.
No, This is not true. The 98 Ranger is like the 98+ Explorers. The 95-97 Explorers have a different rear torsion bar bracket, that needs to be modified, but that's all that needs to be modified.
Oh! and the 98 Ranger kit cost around $2100.00
I used the Trailmaster 98 Ranger kit.

Originally posted by Ray Lobato

No, This is not true. The 98 Ranger is like the 98+ Explorers. The 95-97 Explorers have a different rear torsion bar bracket, that needs to be modified, but that's all that needs to be modified.

Yes, true. I just didn't want him to go out and get a lift for a I-beam front end instead of a IFS front end.

Re: BRAKE LINES

I was wondering. When you installed your leaf springs, did it creek when it compresses? I've been hearing creeking noises when i jump on the bumper and was wonwering if it is just the springs settling or something else.

No, I experienced no creeking noises. I am not really sure what could be causing that noise.
sorry not much help.
DJ

Actually Ray, Superlift did lower the price on that kit to about $1,200.

Ray,
How are the rear torsions different? I looked at mine and it seems the mount is welded to the axle then the torsion bar is bolted to it. Does that sound correct for a 97 xlt.

Ray,
How are the rear torsions different? I looked at mine and it seems the mount is welded to the axle then the torsion bar is bolted to it. Does that sound correct for a 97 xlt.
And has anyone heard if the 10% rebate is still being offered? Would this be in addition to the 10% 4 wheel parts is offering?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

WorkTeke even with the discount dont forget the front driveshaft. All have had to get that modded too or it will eventually fail. Could be another $200 to 500. I wonder did Ray L. have to get his tweaked for the TM kit? Oh and you can install the kit yourself with some help or pay a shop $550 todo it plus alignment.

Back