TrailMaster '98 - 00 Explorer lift | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TrailMaster '98 - 00 Explorer lift

Originally posted by Djohnson
No, I experienced no creeking noises. I am not really sure what could be causing that noise.
sorry not much help.
DJ

Hmmm. Did you grease up the bolts for the leaf pack when you installed it? Could sway bar make creeking noises?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by SCEXPLORER

Hmmm. Did you grease up the bolts for the leaf pack when you installed it? Could sway bar make creeking noises?

Forget about that question. I found out that it was the brakes. Anyhow one more question? How are your ssv shocks? They the only ones that make it for the 4" lift so should i get them.

Although I am no expert, I have no major complaints about the shocks. They are great at highway speeds. Offroad, If I slowly drop off a curb or big rock, they could supply a little more dampening effect. As the front tends to bounce just a little. I am sure that this could be concidered normal.

_____BOTTOM LINE______
I did not shop around at all because I knew that the shocks were being supplied with the lift. If I were you I would make sure to look at all your options. I have been very happy with the SSV shocks, but I am sure that they are not the best one could buy.

Hope this helps!

DJ

Yep

I love them has well.

I have found out alot about my truck in the year.

Re: Yep

I've read that others have had the sway bar dent the shocks. Did that happen to you?

Sway Bar

On front or rear?

I will look but i have not seen anything has of yet.

Re: Sway Bar

Originally posted by gage
On front or rear?

I will look but i have not seen anything has of yet.

Sorry rear sway bar

Dents

No have no dents what so ever.

Has far as the shocks I did think they where a little on the bouncy side but then I checked my air pressure. It seams when I put on the 35"-12.50" BFG AT KO they puffed them up to 43 lbs I backed them off to 32lbs and my water bed feeling went away.

Tips for installing 98-01 explorer lift

Just for reference, here are some tips that would make the installation a little easier.

> Spray the bolts and any component that needs to be removed, repeatedly. I sprayed it once a week for about three weeks. (JUST MADE LIFE EASIER)

> Read over the instructions thoroughly! Several times!

> The instructions say (Front installation step 18) to Separate the front drive halfshafts from the front axle housing. Don't mess with all this. I just took the differential out as one whole piece with the halfshafts.

> The rear is a piece of cake!

Tools you really need.
> gear puller - A heavy gear puller can be used instead of buying the special tool to load and unload the torsion bars.

> Four real nice jackstands. I had access to 5 ton jackstands that are used in tractor maintenance.

> Acetylene Torch - there is a fair amount of torch work that needs to be done on the front crossmember. You will have to cut as well as heat some material up to bend it.

> Time. It took me about 4 days to complete the lift, with one helper.

> Heated shop. I live in Illinois. And installed the lift in December.

> Open every bag and count the parts. Then repackage them carefully.

> I got a wrong bracket. It took a couple of days to get a new one. Try your best to imagine where each bracket goes. Make sure that you don't have to right hand torsion bar brackets.

> The Drive shaft sitituation is not a good one. I had a driveshaft made and It too vibrates at about 55 MPH. I am still (9-10-01) working with Trailmaster to get pictures of the shaft they are selling. It is said to cost $675 but at this point, if it works it would be worth it. Sorry not much help here.

***Does anyone have any updates on the shaft situation?***

DJ

Thanks DJ, we'll take this task on this weekend and let you know how it went. We did get the Tbar puller not knowing a standard gear puller would work...oh well. I emailed you this, but I'll ask here too. Which shaft is vibrating and what need to be cut and bent?

DJ,

Thanks for that post. I have been wondering about the torsion bar tool myself. I didnt feel like spending 170 bucks for the tool when im only going to use it one time. I hope I wont have too much trouble with my driveshaft but who knows. We'll just have to find out. I wont get to my lift for another week or two since I'm going to take a couple of days off on the during the end of the week to do it. Thanks again. Eric

Matt,

Just for curiosity. How much did you pay for the torsion bar tool?

I didn't pay for it, but it was $89 I think.

***DRIVESHAFT***

Trailmaster has a replacement front shaft available.

For Vehicles with CV Style Front Driveshaft May Require Front Driveshaft
Replacement (#CVDS47) to Minimize Vibration

NO WAY!

A COMPLETE FRONT DRIVE SHAFT FOR $89?

DJ, NO, I think he was talking about the Tortion Bar Puller for $85

OK, GOOD I'M NOT CRAZY!

Originally posted by soupbone
I wonder did Ray L. have to get his tweaked for the TM kit?

Soupbone,
I had to have a new one made because of the Atlas II transferrcase.

I like the SSV shocks.

Djohnson,
The only problem I had with the front crossmember was I had bent it up alot and couldn't get the steering slider through the cross member, so we had to heat it up and bent it out enough to get the steering slider to go into it. We did not have to cut

just want to get updates

I CAN TELL EVERYONE GETS A LITTLE NERVOUS WHEN SOMEONE MENTIONS "CUTTING WITH TORCH.

I REMEMBER WHAT WE HAD TO CUT. NOW!

WE BENT THOSE AREAS UP AROUND THE STEERING, AND WE KINDA MANGLED THEM. SO WE BENT IT BACK AND CUT SOME OUT.

RAY IS RIGHT, YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO CUT ANYTHING.

DJ

Drive shaft

Dj, we found a driveshaft for $200 which is basically a smaller version of the rear shaft. If you want we could setup some way to get one out to you.

No vibrations at any speed, it is really nice.

I just saw you live in ILL, We got the shaft from Chicago Drive Shaft-773-539-0748.

If you call, tell them there was a black explorer at their shop on thursday and you want the same shaft or email me and I will take care of it.

P.S. We did cut out some of the cross member to clear the diff and bent the lip around that hole in the middle to fit in the slide bar. That was the only cutting we did.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So, that shaft bolted right up to the 6 bolt pattern on the transfer case.

what was the year and model of the explorer that you installed the lift on?

That shaft sounds great! I will give them a call tomorrow.

Thanks!

DJ

Back