TrailMaster '98 - 00 Explorer lift | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TrailMaster '98 - 00 Explorer lift

Yes, it bolts right up to the transfer case. If you'd like I can get a pic of it. It is, if a remember correctly, a conversion from CV to U-joint and bolts up with shorter supplied bolts.

It's a 2001, but the 98-01 models have the same set-up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On the 2001, the shaft turns all the time? (like the '98)

No hubs or any other kind of disengagement after the transfer case?

Just making sure.

Yes I would love a picture if you have one.

I am getting excited! I think this might deserve another smile! So here it goes. Dead Link Removed

DJ

Shaft

I tried something like that. It did vibrate like you taped a bunch of silver dollars to it.

I found out what my problem is (Don't go there) as far as vibration... I have a bent rim. I found this out trying to nail down the vibration. I thought I should check my tires and after a few days thinking that my tire was untrue it was the rim.

Shaft Update

I have no Vibrations.

I do have a slight clunk that is only noticeable on deceleration. I assume that it is because of the torque that is applied on acceleration and deceleration.

I do grease the UV joint (DIFF SIDE) once a month.

Again They extended the lenght of the shaft before the CV joint 1"

Let me know what you are finding.

Your truck looks very nice. It dwarfs the other Ford that you parked beside.

Thanks for your help.

DJ

Originally posted by Djohnson
Your truck looks very nice. It dwarfs the other Ford that you parked beside.

Thanks for your help.

DJ

It's a friend's, but thanks all the same.

Originally posted by TarHeel085
hey i cant see any of the pictures that are on this thread.

Ya, he either moved them or his account was closed.

gage, that clunk you hear could be the rear yoke. there is a TSB out on it. Mine got replaced a few months back at the dealer ($140 I think) and it eliminated that.

As far as the front shaft goes, I may go back and buy an original one again (I was so stupid to throw out the stock one when I had the front one made) and do what gage did; which I believe is extend the mount by 1 inch right?

Dam shaft!

Shaft

I had the shaft itself extended 1". Not any mount or cv/uv. What happens is that you are changeing the lenght which in turn changes the angle of the shaft. You aliminate the bind that happens when you move the front diff down 4".

Here is the shaft I was talking about. Works great and better than the CV set up. Your cost is about $210.

View

felsman, I can get you a stock shaft if you are interested. It's the one we took of this last truck. Let me know and I will tell the guy you want it.

Shaft

2001ExpSport : That is the exact type of shaft that I had after the original blew out. It did not work at all for me.

Thanks Felsmann, I will check that out!

Besides

The problem is angle. 2001ExpSport what was the diffeance in angle between the stock and this shaft that you have?

The angles are to steep for the diff side UV joint. The CV can handle more angle with less side affects.

Well, Gage, check that out. If you pay attention, the shorter side of the shaft on his set up is the one that goes into the transfer case/ Mine looks just like that, but the axle side is the short one. How is yours?

2001Xsport, are you saying you can get me your stock one if I pay shipping?

gage, I meant to say the flange not the yoke.

Ummm

Sorry Felsmann you lost me, Its more than likelly my fault.

I think i understand now :banghead:

The shaft I Had the 2nd time was just like His. the sliding part was on the transfer case side.

Oh, alright. Well mine is backwards. they made the sliding part in the front. But I gues it does not make a difference since your did not work either. I can't understand why 2001Xsport is not getting a vibration?!?!?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Krisp, are you on an Sport or a 4Dr??

Back