TrailMaster '98 - 00 Explorer lift | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TrailMaster '98 - 00 Explorer lift

Felsmann

What the shop told me was that the adaptor the goes to the TC is not always welded corectly. The chance was about 50%. If you have one of these it maybe worth your wilhe to see if you can exchange it all together.

If it does vibrate i would think that they should help you out.

Also did you get it from the smae place as the others on the post?

Others things to check.

Is it posable that you may have Untrue tires?

I would like to know what the tires that are being used in this post. I mean to say if you have BFG AT KOs you may be able to feel the vibration. But if you had Boggers (speaking form exp.) you may not feel anything extra. I was told that even BFG MUD KO would not be able to balance correctly due to the knobs and tread pattern.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I actually have 33x10.50 AT KO. I know it is not the tries because this whole vibration issue came up when we regeared from 3.73 to 4.56. This made the drivetrain turn that much more. The shaft spins at higher RPM, hence the vibration. Before I may have needed to go 90 MPH to tell the vibration, but since I never really drove the truck that fast I never felt anything wrong. The minute I regeared, the vibration came on at 70MPH.

As far as the adapter, it is not welded. It is basically a disc that bolts on to the transfer case; the disc has more wholes, to which the shaft is bolted on.

Thanks.

Kris is the one with the shaft and the angle changed, but it wasn't much. The stock shaft wasn't long enough so it wouldn't fit anyway. Chicago Driveshaft supplied the shaft and the adjustable end goes towards the transfer case. If yours is the other way it's wrong. Take it of and trun it around. Look at your rear shaft for reference. There isn't any binding that I could find, it is really smooth.

He is running 33x12.5 Baja Claws. It's a Sport(2dr).

Here's some shots:
View

View

View

Hey, it's me! That's Yukon's truck, I'm 6'3" andit's off the jacks. We were impressed. Now we just had to do the back.
View

Oh, BTW, we used a jack with a pin to remove the torsion bars. It worked the best. We never got the T bar tool in time so he sent it back.

Felsmann

I mean the yoke That is welded to the adaptor not the adaptor welded to the TC

Sorry of the confusion

Tires with 4" lift

BFG AT KO
285 X 75 R16 ~ (33" X 11.5")

The shaft I had made also had the splined end at the DIFF end.

It gives me a small vibration @ 55 MPH.

DJ

AWW hee hee look what matt was putting his little girl through :p MAtt that is Sarah in the back of the X in the 3rd pic right ?

Adapter

Gage, Isee what you mean. Either way, no welding at all on mine.

I took the shaft again tonight. I want to see if I can once again hear it without the shaft. One thing I did notice though, the differential is leaking a little bit through where the shaft bolts on. Could this be the problem? Maybe a bad gear install??

Felsmann

How did they attach the UV yoke to the adaptor then? Is it a cnc or cast piece?

Mine was just like 2001... It had the diff side with a UV the shaft and then a slip shaft with a grease fitting and on to the TC side UV but it is welded to an adaptor the then bolts to the TC.

On his pic you can see the weld bead that is right before the adaptor.

You don’t have any welding on it?

By the way I don't think that your shaft being backwards is your problem. It should not matter

Tires; I was just saying this because I have the BFG AT KO that I can feel more things than when I had the boggers. Lets face it, the tires that some of us are running are not smooth on the road and in cases they cannot be balanced correctly. Now I have never owned or been in a ride that has had Baja Claws on it but I would think that they are semi rough. so would not be able to feel a small vibration!

gage, my shaft is identical to his, but with the shorter shaft on the side of the Uv, which goes on the diffy. On the other end, mine stops at the CV, which has 4 bolts. These 4 bolts bolt onto a metal disc that bolts to the stock bolt pattern.

Other than those differences described, it is the same as the picture.

I checked on the tires, I realigned the truck and installed new tie-rods, but the problem persists. Maybe that leak I mentioned has something to do with it. Or it could be a sympthom of whatever the real problem is.

Sucks huh?!

Shaft

Felsmann

Thank you I understand now!

I am sorry but what leak?

Leaking out of the front diffy, where the shaft bolts on. It is very small. I am assuming the seal may have suffered from the harsh shaft vibration. I drove on the freeways to day without the shaft past 80 MPPH and no vibration.

My next step is to try the stock shaft with the extension gage got.

We'll see.

Sounds like a bad bearing, Ford uses a bearing/seal so if the seal goes, the bearing goes with it or vice versa.

Well, here they are! I finally got the pictures from Trailmaster. This is the shaft the they suggest.
The whole shaft.
Dead Link Removed
The Trans End
Dead Link Removed
The Diff End
Dead Link Removed

Pic wont link up to the forum but i saw it. Just post the link. anyways why does that shaft cost $675???? Been following this for awhile...

Dead Link Removed

That looks just like my shaft!!

I can see major differences between that and your shaft felsman. It has a stronger, double u-joint assembly which is good in this application because of the angle. That there is a much better shaft to have, but it's not worth $675.

You mean the U-Joint that goes in the diffy is bigger? would that make a difference in vibration??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, the side taht goes to the axel is the same, the end on the transfer case is different. Click on that link for the shaft and click the "next" button. You'll see what I mean.

Back