TrailMaster '98 - 00 Explorer lift | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TrailMaster '98 - 00 Explorer lift

I just checked the U-joint on mine and it seems to be the same size. I may be able to get a hold of a digital camera tonight, if so I'll post the pic.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That looks the same too. Hopefully I'll have some pictures tonight.

Trailmaster shaft

That is what they call a double cardan style. that is what we discussed on the post "TrailMaster '98 Explorer lift Driveshaft Problems"

It will work but it does have some sort of ball in the middle. But it is STILL a CV joint.

Got Pics!

OK Here are the pictures of the shaft. As you can see it the same design; which sucks, because now I don't know what the problem is!!

Here is the whole shaft
fe3104b5.jpg.orig.jpg

This is the CV end
fe3104b9.jpg.orig.jpg

... and the U joint end, which goes on the front diffy.

fe3104b7.jpg.orig.jpg

...what next?

Oh man

Well I don't know.... I would think that it is just like the TM shaft. Minus the backwards issue. Maybe you should spend a few hours and switch ends of the to turn the shaft around before you go a different direction. It’s not hard at all just watch out for the needle bearings in the UV joint.

I really cannot see how it would work for the two or four door model; it still has a bad angle at the diff end. That is the problem not the CV. It is the fact that the UV joint at the diff end is not angled up like the SL kit.

I will be looking for the Dana 44 soon. I wont spend any more money on the front end of the "X".

Shaft

I know I am supposed to get pics of my shaft. I have had no time sorry I will work on it though.

Felsmann

I was at my local junkyard the other day and they have a 98 "X" with 23XXX miles on it with a perfect front shaft.

Let me know if you need a stock one and I will go and get it.

It doesn’t even have any rust on it yet!

Just for the record its "Johns" in blaine if they mailorder stuff.

Thanks gage. Actually 2001XSport is who has the one with the CV in front, the TM is just like mine.

I am taking it to a shop where the mechanich is a Professional Baja racer. We'll what he has to say.

Originally posted by felsmann
Thanks gage. Actually 2001XSport is who has the one with the CV in front, the TM is just like mine.

I am taking it to a shop where the mechanich is a Professional Baja racer. We'll what he has to say.

No, it's a u-joint on both sides. Only the stock uses the CV joint.

This ais also called a CV, it is just a different kind:

fe3104b9.jpg.orig.jpg

and as you can see, mine is on the long end of the shaft, and yours is on the short. We were thinking maybe that made the difference for you. ???

More info about my driveshaft problems.

I sent my stock driveshaft up to Proven Force to get it lengthened (just like Gage did).

It made an improvement! Now I can run about 65 MPH before I start to feel a vibration. I don't know what else to do.

Does anyone know why Trailmaster did not rotate the front differential?
It seems like that might help. I don't see any problem with this. I would just have to modify or fab (2) shackle type hangers and (1) triangular bracket that mount the differential.

What do you guys think?

One more thing!

I have noticed that the Trailmaster shaft looks to be lighter that all of our failed attempts.

Just another thought.

DJ

DJohnson, I think the reason why Trailmaster did not rotate the front diff is because if you rotate it, I think that it would interfere with the front crossmembers worse than they already were before we had to bend it foward. I think you would have to move the whole front end back a smidgen to create room thus having a greater problem. That's just my thought.

Has anyone else besides 2001Exsport bought the driveshaft from Chicago Driveshaft? Sounds to me like that is the way to go. I am leaning that way right now because I am forced to because Attica claimed mine this past weekend.

I'm able drive normally without any noticable vibration.
I don't know what it is guys, but my driveshaft is still doing good. 2100 miles and two trips to attica later.
The only other thing that I can think of besides my driveshaft from Chicago Driveshaft is that I have the torsion bars loosened. We have it adjusted a little below factory. I don't know if that would do anything, but it is just an idea.

Solid Front Axle Anyone!

I am going to d44. I am tried of this as well. Why did TM not angle the IFS a bit like SL?

For $700.00 I can get a good start on the Solid axle. They arent getting any more of my money.

I suppose for $210 that Krisp12Yukon spent on his, I guess that is the direction that I will go right now.

Krisp12Yukon, is there anybody to ask for at Chicago Driveshaft to hook me up with the same driveshaft you got or possibly the same setup that trailmaster sells? I currently dont have the front driveshaft and winter is approaching. Thanks, Eric.

If you go there just ask them if they remember my truck. Everyone was out there staring at the thing for about 20 minutes. they were telling me about all the other types of cars and trucks they have supplied for. They will probably remember. I have my receipt that they gave me but I can not read the part number. Their Phone # is 773-539-0748 and they are located on 4129 western.
Here is a picture.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1101951&a=13779108&p=54524676&f=0
I hope that this helps.
Also it only cost 200.

Picture

Hey Krisp12Yukon, I dont have a picture on here yet because my scanner decided to join my front driveshaft!!! I got loads of pictures to post including Attica this past weekend. But just to get a visual, mine looks almost identical to yours but mine is a '98. Thanks for the info for Chicago Driveshaft.

Does anyone have an update on this God forsaken issue??

In my personal opinion, I think the key to Matt's success here is the fact that his Torsion bars are not cracnked up, therefore reducing the angle of the shaft. In fact I believe the post said that he had them bellow specs, so even less angle.

I still have not tried flipping the ends on my shaft, I will try to do that soon, but at the same time I'll try what Gage did; extend a stock shaft (if I ever get my hand on one of them).

Gage you are still OK with yours right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Felsman,
As long as krispy's front end has IFS the angle of the driveshaft will never change.

If you look close, the trailmaster shaft has no slip yoke. It is a solid shaft.

Gage, I thought that your extended stock shaft was working fine. What do you estimate the D44 project will cost?

DJ

Back