Trannie problems ...

bert1978

Reaction score
City, State
Saskatoon SK
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
Hi there,
I have a 1991 XLT Explorer with 4x4, Automatic Transmission with the V6, it also has 300,000 kms (~186,000 miles) on it. I just got home from a road trip and my transmission started acting up. I would step on the accelerator to pass and occasionally the RPM would jump to near redline and the truck would not accelerate. When I was nearly home, I slowed from highway speed to turn a corner and proceeded to accelerate to which the RPM jumped again and the transmission falied to engage. The truck coasted to a stop and I put it into neutral and back into Overdrive tried again, and again RPM jumped and transmission did not engage. I repeated by putting it into park and neutral and trying drive with no luck. I repeated the process but using reverse and that worked fine. Upon trying drive again, trannie engaged and I was able to drive home. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what steps to follow to diagnose the problem and can someone tell me the proper procedure for checking the trannie fluid level.
Thanks,
Bert

Add some ATF! :hammer:

Good Luck! Keep us posted.

Back