• Register Today It's free!

tranny and clutch question

94_explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Cotati, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport
1st of all, I just got a new clutch and slave installed into my '94 Sport. When I drove away from the mechanics, all was well. The next day when I started her up, I heard this whirling and clicking sound - definitely coming from the clutch area. Strange. Needless to say, I'm going to take it back. Does anyone have any idea as to what this may be? The clutch still works, but I don't want to do any damage.

Second question. 5 Speed manual tranny - needs replacing. Is there a good source for rebuilt trannys? Is this something I should track down locally? Any idea as to how much a rebuilt should cost?

Thanks for all your insight...
-mmosel

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did they also install a new TO bearing, re-surface the flywheel and install a new pilot bearing (i hope so)

spindlecone said:
Did they also install a new TO bearing, re-surface the flywheel and install a new pilot bearing (i hope so)

Well, the guy got a full kit, and that should have included the bearings. So I hope so as well. The thing that worried me is that I expected him to resurface the flywheel - but he claimed it was fine - so he didn't touch it. I tried to suggest some things to him, but I think mechanics are like artists - they have an ego about their work.

Well wouldn't you know it? I drove it up to the grocery store and kablamo - clutch died already and I can't drive it. The pedal seemed to give way and it can't be shifted at all with the motor running. Yikes. Now it's stuck up there. Thankfully I could walk home.

Meanwhile, what is the symptom of a failed/failing clutch master cylinder?

Well, I drove up to take a quick look under the hood. I noticed that the reservoir is empty. That can't be good. So, what could be the cause of that? Is it possible for fluid to empty out into the clutch area itself?

My Chilton manual says that the hydraulic clutch system uses brake fluid - C6AZ-19542-AA ??? Can't I use some standart dot 3 brake fluid? I'm thinking that I could try to bleed the system to see if that might temporarily fix the prob.

Standard DOT 3 brake fluid is fine, but beware they are a pain to bleed. If the master was OK prior to the new clutch & slave, I wouldn't expect it to go so quickley. I would be more inclined to suspect a bad slave was installed, or the line from the master to the slave was damaged somehow. If you add more brake fluid check where the leaks are or at least the drips on the ground, that should give you a starting point.

Hopefully someone with some more experience will jump in.

Chris

CRMW, thanks.

So I went up there this morning to take another look, but it's raining, so the ground is all wet, so I don't think I'll see where it's leaking. I put some DOT3 in there, but without bleeding it, I don't think that's going to help. The pedal is 75% limp. If I can get it home, then I might be able to bleed the system in the next couple of days.

Is it possible for DOT3 to leak into the bell housing? If so, wouldn't that toast the clutch?

Have it towed, or find some really old fart like me that can get thru the gears without a clutch, just have to listen to your engine:)

if the reservoir is completely dry goodluck trying to bleed it.

spindlecone said:
Have it towed, or find some really old fart like me that can get thru the gears without a clutch, just have to listen to your engine:)

Well, if I could get it into first, then I might try that. But I can't start it in first, and once started, I can't shift. It's only three blocks away. A neighbor is going to help me pull it home with his truck. Then I'll try to bleed it again and perhaps I'll be able to see if it's leaking. But my gut tells me that something is wrong on the inside.

Probley best to rope it home, good luck

Well, got her home. That's good. Once it stops raining I'll inspect it and see if I can't bleed it again. I'll see were it goes from there!

Back